Gouverneur's Behavioral Health Department offers comprehensive, confidential and affordable treatment programs for a variety of behavioral health problems including:
- Low Self-Esteem
- Anger Management
- Family and Relationship Conflicts
- Communication and Assertiveness Skills
- Acculturation Issues
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Our staff works with adults, children and adolescents to develop a personalized treatment plan that goes beyond addressing a diagnosis or symptoms and aims to improve quality of life. We proudly offer a wide range of specialized programs to address each patient's unique needs. Treatment options include individual psychotherapy, group psychotherapy, family psychotherapy and medication therapy.
We recognize that communicating with our patients in their preferred language helps them get the most out of treatment. Our programs have been designed with the cultural needs of our patients in mind and are available in multiple languages including Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese and English. Interpretation services are available free of charge.
Special programs include:
- Asian Bicultural Center - Geared toward meeting the
needs of all Chinese Americans and recent U.S. immigrants, we provide a range
of services in Mandarin, Cantonese, Fujianese and English.
- Parent Infant Program - Coping with a newborn can be
challenging. Our Parent Infant Program is open to pregnant women and all
parents with children under the age of 5. We help women cope with postpartum
depression and help parents of young children cope with the challenges of
- Child and Adolescent Center - Children and adolescents from ages 5-18 are provided with a safe, comfortable treatment environment. Our staff addresses the complex issues faced by children and adolescents including:
- School difficulties
- Family conflicts
- Anger management
- Separation and loss
- Peer problems
- Young Adult Program - Support for young adults, ages
18-35 is vital for those coping with serious mental illnesses. Our
compassionate staff members promote greater self-acceptance, build self-esteem
and enhance social skills.
- Women's Comprehensive Health Program - Women coping
with major life issues benefit from our holistic approach that blends mental
health and medical care. Patients benefit from frequent educational seminars
covering a range of topics like nutrition, communication, family,
self-expression and medication along with individual and group counseling
services in English, Spanish or Cantonese.
- Program for Older Adults - Programs and services for adults aged 55 and over help patients cope with the daily challenges of aging. Older adults often need help with family and relationship problems, social isolation, health issues, depression, anxiety and insomnia. In addition to individual and family services, we offer an enriched group program that includes senior support groups, life skills groups, health related groups and therapeutic recreation.