Vehicle, Plate and Base Transfers
For-Hire Vehicle corporations removing multiple vehicle licenses from storage must submit a request and the required documents by email, to FHVCorporation@tlc.nyc.gov.
The Drop-off service for For-Hire Vehicle Representatives with a Power of Attorney will no longer be available as of May 8, 2023.
All For-Hire Vehicle applications will now be processed by submitting the applications and supporting documents via email. Please click here and follow the instructions under the Plate and Vehicle Transfer tab for additional instructions.
When to Apply for a Base Transfer
- A base transfer is done to move an FHV license (the for-hire vehicle) from one base to another base.
How to submit an Online Base Transfer Application
Print the Transfer Application.
Go to the TLC website, here and print the Transfer application. Complete sections one (1) and three (3) of the Transfer application. All Transfer applications must be signed by the new base for all base transfers.
Email the Transfer application and a copy of government issued photo ID to the TLC.
Email the application and a copy of photo ID to FHVTransfers@tlc.nyc.gov. Once received, TLC will review for approval.
Receive an email from TLC.
If your application is accepted, you will receive an email with instructions to make the transfer payment online. If payment is not made within twenty-four (24) hours of TLC’s email, your transfer request will not be processed. Payment must be made within 24-hours of TLC’s email.
- Pay the transfer fee using LARS.
Once you receive the TLC email, you will be able to log into www1.nyc.gov/lars/ and pay the fee that is due, by clicking “Fees – Existing TLC License” then entering your TLC VEHICLE license #, located on your TLC decal; your mailing zip code; and the last five (5) digits of your vehicle corporation’s EIN or your individual SSN.
- Transfer is complete.
Once your online payment has been received, your base transfer will be completed. Since the base name is no longer on TLC decals, there is no need for a TLC inspection, unless you need to replace the TLC decals / stickers on the car. If you would like to replace your TLC inspection decals / stickers, please email FHVTransfers@tlc.nyc.gov to request a referral document, and one will be emailed to you. Once you have received the referral document via email, you may go to the TLC’s Woodside inspection facility Monday through Friday between 5am and 9pm for new decals.
All Licensing fees are non-refundable.
Plate and Vehicle Transfers
When to Apply for an FHV Plate Transfer / Vehicle Transfer
- Plate Transfer. When TC plates are needed for FHV license storage removal; or if TC plates were lost, stolen, damaged, or confiscated, submit a TC Plate Transfer application to receive new TC plates.
- Vehicle Transfer. A Vehicle Transfer is done when a licensee or applicant changes the vehicle associated with the current vehicle license / application.
Plate Transfer Requirements (lost, stolen, or damaged plates)
- If both vehicle plates are lost, stolen, or damaged:
- You must notify the NYS police to request a Certification of Lost License, Permit or Plates’ police report (MV-78B).
- You must surrender your plates by submitting the police report to a local NYSDMV office to receive and FS6T
- If one plate (of two) is lost, stolen, or damaged:
- A police report is not required, you must surrender the remaining plate to a local NYSDMV office to receive and FS6T
- If plates are lost outside of NYS:
- Request a police report printed on the letterhead of the police agency in the state where the plates were lost.
- Additional information is available here, via the NYS DMV website.
How to submit a Plate Transfer (need TC plates) / Vehicle Transfer (change of vehicle) Application
- Print the Transfer Application and complete sections 1 & 2.
- Email the Transfer application and supporting documents to the TLC.
Email the following requirements to FHVTransfers@tlc.nyc.gov
- A completed Transfer form;
- New DMV registration (if you have valid TC plates)OR
- Old DMV registration or plate surrender receipt (FS-6); and
- Title or MCO (Manufacturer Certificate of Origin), if you are changing plates and vehicle
- Current for-hire insurance certificate (FH-1)or Certificate of Insurance Card (for out-of-state vehicles)
- Current certificate of liability or declaration. Coverage must meet TLC’s minimum insurance requirements;
- Valid government issued photo ID for licensee
- Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles - Letter from the up-fitter or modifier
- Receive an email from TLC.
If your plate / vehicle application is accepted, you will receive an email with instructions to make the transfer payment online in LARS. If applicable, TLC will post your plate letter on TLC UP and you will also receive an email with the copy of plate letter. (If you already have for-hire plates , skip to step 6).
- You will receive a new registration and new TC plates (if a plate transfer was requested) from the NYS DMV.
- Notify TLC of your plate by filing the Plate Notification Form found on TLC UP.
- Pay the transfer fee using LARS
Once you receive the TLC email, you will be able to log into www1.nyc.gov/lars/ and pay the fee that is due, by clicking “Fees – Existing TLC License” then entering your TLC VEHICLE license #, located on your TLC decal; your mailing zip code; and the last five (5) digits of your individual SSN.
- TLC will update your record and email your inspection appointment which contains the inspection date and time for the new vehicle.
- $25.00 – Plate Transfer fee.
- $25.00 – Vehicle Transfer fee.
- $75.00 – Inspection fee for vehicles with 500 miles or more.
All Licensing fees are non-refundable.