New York City Police Department311Search all websites

Non-Injury Vehicle Collisions

As of April 6, 2020 this is effective citywide

Here's What You Should Know

What You Should Know About Vehicle Collisions

Non-Injury Collision Frequently Asked Questions

Collision Information Exchange form

Vehicle collisions can be stressful when they occur, but it's important to remember that your safety is always the number one priority. The following are a few tips to keep in mind immediately after involvement in a collision:

  • Shift your vehicle into "park."
  • Check yourself and any passengers for injuries.
  • If you cannot move your vehicle, or if medical assistance is needed, dial "911" and follow the operator's instructions.

If your vehicle is operable, and neither you nor any passengers with you have suffered any injuries, you should move to a secure location (such as the nearest shoulder, the median, or the rightmost lane of the road) before exiting to assess the situation. Doing so will:

  • Protect you from oncoming traffic.
  • Allow safer passage for other motorists on the road.
  • Provide easier access for emergency responders to reach you, if necessary.

You Should Also Be Aware

Vehicle collisions resulting only in property damage are not required to be reported to the police. You are only responsible for exchanging your driver's license information, insurance, and vehicle registration with all other motorists. For insurance purposes, a Report of Motor Vehicle Accident should be filed with the Department of Motor Vehicles. This form can be found online at, or at your local precinct or police service area.

(NOTE: A Report of Motor Vehicle Accident must be filed with the Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days of a collision if the collision caused damage over $1,000 to the property of any one person. Failure to do so can result in suspension of your driver's license.)

Leaving the scene of a collision before exchanging your information with other motorists is illegal under the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law. Furthermore, you are required to remain on the scene and contact the police immediately after a vehicle collision when:

  • Any person is injured or killed;
  • A domestic animal is injured or killed; or,
  • A parked vehicle, or any other property is damaged, and the owner cannot be located.

Report of Motor Vehicle Accident Form