As a voucher holder, you have the option to move to a new unit when your lease expires or is expiring within 60 days of your request to move. There are two types of transfers:

  1. Transfer within New York City. After 10 months of rental, your family is eligible to move to another unit within New York City. The easiest way to request a transfer is via the Self-Service Portal, which can be accessed through your computer, smartphone, tablet, or other internet-enabled device. You may also obtain a Voucher Holder Request for Transfer form by calling the Customer Contact Center at (718) 707-7771. Below is an overview of the transfer process:

    Transfer Within NYC

  3. Portability. You can use your voucher to live anywhere in the United States and its commonwealths and territories, if there is a housing agency that operates a Housing Choice Voucher program. This process is known as “portability.” Portability requests must be made by the head of household. The easiest way to make a portability request is on the Self-Service Portal using a smartphone, computer, tablet, or other internet-enabled device. You may also submit the Voucher Holder Request for Portability form, which can be obtained by calling the Customer Contact Center at (718) 707-7771. Be sure to complete the entire form, including the name, address, and contact person for the housing agency that you intend to port to.  Below is an overview of the portability process:


Portability Process

NYCHA will review and prioritize all transfer requests as "emergency" or "non-emergency" based on your reason for transfer. You must provide specific documentation to support an emergency transfer request. The following are considered reasons for emergency transfer:
  • Court action
  • Foreclosure action and order to vacate
  • Intimidated victims (IV)
  • Intimidated witnesses (IW)
  • Natural disaster
  • Reasonable accommodation
  • 24-Hour failed HQS inspection
  • Violence against women reauthorization act (VAWA) victims

What Is VAWA?

The Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013 (VAWA) protects qualified tenants, participants, and applicants, and affiliated individuals, who are victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking from being denied housing assistance, evicted, or terminated from housing assistance based on acts of such violence against them.

Learn more about the transfer process and your rights and responsibilities as a VAWA victim by reading the Section 8 VAWA Transfers Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Where Can You Rent

Finding affordable housing in New York City is often difficult. NYCHA is helping to make the search easier by offering a listing of properties available to voucher holders seeking units in the private market. The listing is maintained by, the largest rental listing service provider for the Section 8 housing market. If you have any questions about creating or viewing property listings, please contact at 866-466-7328.

View Rental Listings: