Human Resources Administration311Search all websites

Contact HRA

Phone Numbers

Do you need information about an HRA program?

Call the DSS OneNumber at 718-557-1399 and get information about various programs across HRA. Listen to the main menu options and choose the corresponding number to reach that program.

  • For information about Cash Assistance, which can include SNAP and Medicaid, or One Shot Deals for help with bills like rent or utilities, press1.
  • For information about SNAP benefits only, press 2.
  • For information about Medicaid or public health insurance, press 3.
  • For information about Housing or Rent Assistance, press 4.
  • For an accommodation or help because of a disability, press 5.
  • To report a complaint or concern or to contact the Bureau of Fraud Investigations, press 6.
  • For information about other programs, press 7.


Please visit one of our locations.


Send an email to the Commissioner.

Send an email to the DSS Press Office.

The Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)

The Freedom of Information Law is New York State's principal statute on providing for public access to the records of government.

Open Records  

All Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests to the Human Resources Administration should be submitted via NYC OpenRecords ( Select "Human Resources Administration (HRA)" from the agency dropdown menu.

HRA’s Records Access Officer:
Samantha Arena, Esq.
Associate General Counsel
150 Greenwich Street, 38th Fl., New York, NY 10007

HRA’s Records Appeals Officer:
Ann Marie Scalia, Esq.
Records Appeals Officer
150 Greenwich Street, 38th Fl., New York, NY 10007

Questions about specific requests should also be made through NYC OpenRecords by using the “Contact the Agency” link available on every request page.

Please note that individual client records or information are confidential and are not available under FOIL. Such requests must be accompanied by an authorization or other appropriate documentation. See instructions in below Request for Client Records section.

Subpoenas and Legal Papers

In accordance with NY CPLR section 308(2), subpoenas and legal process must be served via the DSS* Office of Legal Affairs subpoena window located at 150 Greenwich Steet, New York, NY 10007, 38th Floor. Service must be completed at this location in person or in the manner required by applicable law or order of the court. The subpoena window is open Monday-Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm, excluding holidays.

 *DSS is comprised of the NYC Human Resources Administration and the NYC Department of Homeless Services.

Requests for Client Records

When requesting your own records or requesting information on another’s behalf**, the request must be submitted along with a signed authorization form. The agency may require submission of additional documentation in order to verify your identity.

If you are submitting a request for Medicaid records specifically, please fill out and submit the OCA-960 Authorization for Release of Health Information Pursuant to HIPAA or other HIPAA-compliant form. Requests and forms should be submitted via email to When submitting these types of requests, please make sure you supply enough information to assist us with searching for the requested records (name, date of birth, etc.). Please also provide the relevant time period for the requested records.

If you have additional questions regarding access to records, please email

**Note that if you are signing an authorization form or requesting records or information on another’s behalf, you must also submit valid proof of authority to do so. Examples include but are not limited to a valid Power of Attorney, Letters of Administration, Guardianship Commission papers, etc.

Public Solicitation Licenses

HRA permits nonprofit organizations, associations and corporations to solicit donations for charitable purposes in New York City.

HRA administers Public Solicitation Licenses for event producers interested in soliciting for services, products, or charities at their event. These solicitations can take place indoors or outdoors. Outdoor solicitations include pledges to a walk-a-thon/bike-a-thon, or door-to-door canvassing with a kit. Indoor solicitations include contributions taken in a public space, or the operation of a thrift shop, rummage sale, book sale, bazaar and sale of tickets for fundraising purposes.

Contact the DSS Office of Disability Affairs

Do you need help with your application, recertification or other program requirements?

If you have a disability, HRA can help by providing supports or accommodations to make it easier for you to get the services you need. Visit our Disability Access page for more information.

If you think you or someone in your family has been discriminated against at HRA because of a disability you may send a complaint by letter, fax, or email to:

Office of Disability Affairs
Jennifer Shaoul
Executive Director of Disability Affairs / Disability Service Facilitator
Human Resources Administration
150 Greenwich Street – 42nd Floor
New York, NY 10007
Fax: 212-437-2161

Or you can call the DSS OneNumber at 718-557-1399.