NYC Free Tax Prep: What You Need to File

Are you a small business owner, freelancer, or gig worker? See checklist of documents for NYC Free Tax Prep sites specifically for the self-employed.

Get Your Documents Ready

Below is a checklist of what you need to file your 2023 tax return at an NYC Free Tax Prep site.

Blue icon of an id card


▢ Government-issued photo ID (includes IDNYC)

▢ Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN). ITIN determination letters (original, copy, or electronic document) and birth dates for you, your spouse, and your dependents

Blue icon of W2 form

Proof of Income:

When filing taxes electronically, filers must sign and validate their electronic tax return by entering their prior-year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or their prior-year Self-Select PIN. Please see the following guidance to find your prior-year AGI.

▢ Form 1099-G if you received unemployment insurance at any point during 2023

To obtain a form, visit and search “1099-G.” or call 1-888-209-8124 to have the New York State Department of Labor mail the form to the address they have on file for you.

▢ Forms W-2, 1098, 1099, or income and expense records if you are self-employed

  Forms may include:

  • Form W-2 (wages from each job)
  • Form 1099-INT (interest)
  • Form 1099-DIV (dividends)
  • Form 1099-R (retirement plans)
  • Form W-2G (gambling winnings)
  • Form SSA-1099 (Social Security benefits)
  • Form 1099-MISC (miscellaneous income)
  • Form 1099-K (deposits and earnings)
  • Form 1099-B (sale of stock)
  • Form 1098-T (scholarships and grants)
  • Form 1099-C (cancellation of debt)
  • Form 1098-T (tuition payments to attend a university or technical college)
  • Form 1098-E (interest paid on student loans)

  Other income documentation if you are self-employed may include:

  • Log books showing income received and clients served
    Raw estimates are not acceptable.
  • Copies of bank statements

Blue icon of other forms


▢ Documentation of business expenses if you are self-employed, including:

  • Paid invoices
  • Remitted checks
  • Credit card charges
  • Information about any home office

Raw estimates are not acceptable.

▢ Filed Forms 1040-ES (federal) and IT-2105 (New York State) showing estimated tax payments for 2022

▢ Copy of 2022 tax return or transcript (required for Assisted Self-Prep)

To request a transcript, call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-908-9946 or visit and search “Get Transcript.”

▢ Form 1095-A if you, your spouse, or dependents enrolled in a health insurance plan through the Health Plan Marketplace

▢ Payment records for child care, including the provider’s name, address, and Employer Identification Number, Taxpayer Identification Number, or Social Security number

▢ Records of cash and non-cash charitable contributions

To learn more about specific filing obligations for self-employed people, please visit our toolkit for Self-Employed Filers.

Blue icon of money sign and check

Banking Information:

▢ Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of your refund
Need to open a bank account? Visit to find out how you can open an NYC SafeStart Account. The NYC SafeStart Account has no overdraft fees and no monthly fees if you maintain a minimum balance of $25 or even less depending on the financial institution.

▢ NY 529 account, routing, and plan numbers to directly deposit all or part of your state refund into a college savings account
Did you know you now can split your NYS refund and directly deposit all or part of it into a 529 College Savings account? There's no minimum balance needed to open an account. Visit or call 1-877-NYSAVES (1-877-697-2837) to learn more and to create an account.

If you are married and filing jointly, both you and your spouse must sign the required forms.

This page was updated on 11/2023.