Checklist of Documents for Self-Employed Filers

What You Need to File

Below is a checklist of what you need to file your 2022 tax return at an NYC Free Tax Prep site specifically for self-employed filers.

Blue icon of an id card


▢ Government-issued photo ID (includes IDNYC)

▢ Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN). ITIN determination letters (original, copy, or electronic document) and birth dates for you, your spouse, and your dependents

Blue icon of W2 form

Proof of Income:

When filing taxes electronically, filers must sign and validate their electronic tax return by entering their prior-year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or their prior-year Self-Select PIN. Please see the following guidance to find your prior-year AGI.

▢ Form 1099-G if you received unemployment insurance at any point during 2022

To obtain a form, visit and search “1099-G.” or call 1-888-209-8124 to have the New York State Department of Labor mail the form to the address they have on file for you.

▢ Forms W-2, 1099-K, 1099-MISC, or other source of income paid in any form, including but not limited to:

  • Cash receipts journal
  • Cash disbursements journal
  • Sales journal
  • General journal
  • Checkbook
  • Bank statements, cancelled checks and deposit information

  Forms may include:

  • Form W-2 (wages from each job)
  • Form 1099-INT (interest)
  • Form 1099-DIV (dividends)
  • Form 1099-R (retirement plans)
  • Form W-2G (gambling winnings)
  • Form SSA-1099 (Social Security benefits)
  • Form 1099-MISC (miscellaneous income)
  • Form 1099-K (deposits and earnings)
  • Form 1099-B (sale of stock)
  • Form 1098-T (scholarships and grants)
  • Form 1099-C (cancellation of debt)
  • Form 1098-T (tuition payments to attend a university or technical college)
  • Form 1098-E (interest paid on student loans)

Blue icon of other forms

Proof of Expenses:

▢ Profit and Loss (P&L) Statement (e.g., Excel sheet or pen and paper)

▢ Records of any required 1099 payments (1096 form)

▢ Records of salaries paid*

  • FormW-3 (for salaries paid)
  • Form 941 (quarterly payments)
  • Form 940 (federal unemployment tax return)
  • Payroll company records

  • *Returns including expenses for employees or home office expenses (other than childcare businesses) can only completed at limited locations. Please call site before your appointment to confirm.

▢ Records of pension plans. Contributions to qualified small business reitrement plans like:

  • SEP (Simplified Employee Pension) plans
  • SIMPLE (Savings Incentive Match Plan for Employees) plans
  • Qualified plans (including Keogh or H.R. 10) plans

▢ Records of paid invoices (e.g., cancelled checks and paid statements)

▢ Records of home office expenses**

  • Rent statements
  • Size of home
  • Size of area used for business
  • Insurance forms
  • 1098 for owned home
  • Utility bills (paid)
  • Internet bills

  • **Returns including expenses for employees or home office expenses (other than childcare businesses) can only completed at limited locations. Please call site before your appointment to confirm.

▢ Record of vehicle used for business

  • Mileage log
    • Total mileage
    • Business mileage
  • Receipts and other records of expenses including, but not limited to:
    • Parking
    • Gas
    • Maintenance
    • Insurance
    • Registration & licensing
    • Tolls
    • Car wash
    • Car supplies
    • Sanitizing and PPE
  • Payment and purchase records
    • Lease payments
    • Original price
    • Amount paid before placing car in service
    • Past depreciation


▢ Filed Forms 1040-ES (federal) and IT-2105 (New York State) showing estimated tax payments for 2021

▢ Copy of 2020 and 2021 tax return or transcript

To request a transcript, call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-908-9946 or visit and search “Get Transcript.”

▢ Form 1095-A if you, your spouse, or dependents enrolled in a health insurance plan through the Health Plan Marketplace

▢ Payment records for child care, including the provider’s name, address, and Employer Identification Number, Taxpayer Identification Number, or Social Security number

▢ Records of cash and non-cash charitable contributions

Blue icon of money sign and check

Banking Information:

▢ Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of your refund or payment of annual/quarterly tax payments.
Need to open a bank account? Visit to find out how you can open an NYC SafeStart Account. The NYC SafeStart Account has no overdraft fees and no monthly fees if you maintain a minimum balance of $25 or even less depending on the financial institution.

▢ NY 529 account, routing, and plan numbers to directly deposit all or part of your state refund into a college savings account
Did you know you now can split your NYS refund and directly deposit all or part of it into a 529 College Savings account? There's no minimum balance needed to open an account. Visit or call 1-877-NYSAVES (1-877-697-2837) to learn more and to create an account.

If you are married and filing jointly, both you and your spouse must sign the required forms.

This page was updated on 01/27/2023.