Student Loans: Other Resources
*Important Updates Due to COVID-19*
Under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, federal student loan payments are automatically suspended, without interest or penalties, until no later than June 30, 2023. Read Important Information for Student Loan Holders: Automatic Payment Suspension and Other Relief During COVID-19.
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
for tools and resources to help you make informed financial decisions about paying for college.
Federal Student Aid (part of the U.S. Department of Education)
- Information about the FAFSA and student loan forgiveness and relief programs.
- Glossary of student loan terms.
- Information about borrower defense relief and closed school discharge.
New York City Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP)
- Visit nyc.gov/studentloans for all tips:
- "Before You Enroll in a School or Training Program”
- “Before You Take out Student Loans for Yourself or a Child”
- “Once You Have Student Loans”
- Visit nyc.gov/dcwp or call 311 for debt collection complaints
BEWARE OF ...
There are hundreds of for-profit schools in New York City that enroll New Yorkers in courses for everything from air conditioning repair and cosmetology to medical technician training. Some use high-pressure recruiting tactics and may mislead you into taking out a lot of financial aid and then make it difficult to complete your degree so you’re forced to take out more aid.
College Scholarships and Financial Aid Scams
Many scammers prey on students and parents by promising scholarships in exchange for an advance fee. The scammers do not award scholarships and will not refund the fee. Other scammers charge a processing fee to apply for scholarships on students’ behalf, but the “scholarships” are not real.
Student Loan “Debt Relief” Scams
Scammers take advantage of students by falsely promising loan forgiveness through federal programs that don’t exist and charging students high up-front and ongoing fees for services that are freely available.