Pedicab Driver

Pedicab Driver License Application Checklist

Who Must Have a Pedicab Driver License?

You must have a Pedicab Driver license if you drive or propel a pedicab for hire to passengers within the City of New York. Pedicab Driver applicants must be at least 18 years old.

This description is only a general explanation of which individuals need to have a Pedicab Driver license.

Additional DCWP License You May Need

  • If you are a pedicab owner (you own, lease, or otherwise control a pedicab or pedicabs) and operate or authorize the operation of one or more pedicabs for hire to passengers within the City of New York, you must hold a Pedicab Business license.

Application Requirements

When You File Your DCWP License Application:

Below are requirements when filing your license application:

  • Basic Individual License Application
    Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.

    In-person submission: Download the Basic Individual License Application Form.
  • Photo Identification (ID) of License Applicant
    Acceptable forms of ID include:
    • Driver’s license or a non-driver’s license identification issued by a State Department of Motor Vehicles
    • License or permit issued by a government agency
    • Passport
    • Alien card/green card
    • City, State, or Federal employee ID card
  • Current color passport-size photograph of License Applicant
    License Applicants can be photographed in the DCWP Licensing Center at no cost.

    Please note that you can upload an image file if you submit your license application online.
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
    If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation. 
  • Current Driver’s License
    You must hold a motor vehicle driver’s license that is valid under New York State law, and that proves you are at least 18 years old, as required by New York State law. Valid licenses include:
    • Licenses issued by New York State
    • Licenses issued by other U.S. states, U.S. territories, Federal districts, and other countries unless you are or become a resident of New York State

    Note: An international driving permit is not a driver’s license.

    For information on New York State requirements for a valid driver’s license, visit the Department of Motor Vehicles online at

    Requirements for Holders of Non-New York State Driver’s Licenses:
    • If you become a resident of New York State, State law requires that you get a New York State driver’s license within 30 days of becoming a New York State resident.
    • If you are not a resident of New York State and possess a valid driver’s license from another state, territory, Federal district, or another country, you must submit to DCWP with your application:
      • Certified Abstract of your driving record issued within the last 30 days from the State Department of Motor Vehicles, territory, district, country (or political subdivision) that issued your license that demonstrates the license is valid and in full force and effect OR
      • Other certified proof issued within the last 30 days from the territory, district, or country (or political subdivision) that issued your license that demonstrates that the license is valid and in full force and effect

      Note: You may be required periodically to submit abstracts or other proof to demonstrate that your license remains valid and in full force and effect.
  • License Fee
    Must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCWP Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed.

    Please note that a convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online.  
Pedicab Driver License Fee
License Term:
 1 year
License Expiration Date: April 30  
If You File Your Application Between These Dates: Your License Fee is:
From May 1 to November 1 $35
From November 2 to April 30 $18 or *$53

*If you are applying within six months of the license expiration date, you can pay the prorated fee for the remaining license term plus the full fee to renew the license for the next term. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.

Application Filing Process

File Online

  1. Review requirements and gather all materials.
  2. Click the Apply Online button below to login or create an account to start your online license application.

Apply Online Button

Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the Apply for a DCWP License page to read requirements and proceed to the next online application.


File In Person
Schedule an appointment to file in person at the DCWP Licensing Center or NYC Small Business Support Center

42 Broadway, Lobby
New York, NY 10004
By Appointment Only Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.

90-27 Sutphin Blvd, 4th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11435
By Appointment Only Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.

By Email:
By Phone*: Call (212) 436-0441. (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.)

*This number is to schedule an appointment for in-person service only. For general questions, email

Free Interpretation Services are available on-site. To request a disability-related accommodation, visit our Accommodations page.

Additional Resources for Pedicab Driver

  • Pedicab Accident Report
    You must submit a written Accident Report of every accident relating to a pedicab within 24 hours after the occurrence. If the accident results in death or a person sustaining an injury that requires medical treatment, you must notify the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection immediately via phone, fax, and/or e-mail as provided on the Accident Report.
  • For resources to help your business open, operate, and grow, visit

Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCWP will provide to you.