The Flatiron Plaza is located at the intersection of 23rd Street, Fifth Avenue, and Broadway, adjacent to Madison Square Park, and with views of the Flatiron Building, Met Life Building, New York Life Building, and Empire State Building. The Flatiron Business Improvement District (BID) and the Department of Transportation (DOT) maintains four spaces from 21st Street to 24th Street, providing cleaning, public safety, horticulture, and maintenance of the planters, moveable furniture, umbrellas, and the Visitor Information Cart. The North Plaza is trapezoid in shape: 58 feet across 23rd Street, 33 feet across mid-block crosswalk, 93 feet along Fifth Avenue from 23rd Street to mid-block crosswalk; the South Plaza is triangular in shape: 44 feet across 23rd Street, 200 feet along Broadway.
- Planters decorate the plaza with seasonal plantings
- Tables, chairs, benches and umbrellas are present for pedestrian seating, but can be removed for an additional fee
- Two Food Kiosks are present
- Trash cans, including the Bigbelly, solar-panel powered trash cans with recycling
- Free Wi-Fi is available to the public
- Electrical boxes with 12 outlets are available for use with written permission from the Flatiron BID
- Foot traffic is estimated at 24,060 people per weekday
- Vehicle traffic is estimated at 10,502 average daily traffic along Broadway, 18,125 along E 23rd Street, 26,106 along W 23rd Street, 18,770 along Fifth Avenue
Permitting the Plaza
If you are interested in hosting an event on the pedestrian plaza, read below for more information or apply here.
- The Flatiron BID requires you to do the following when permitting the plaza:
- Conduct a site visit
- Create a site plan with run of show
- Obtain a minimum of $1 million certificate of liability insurance naming the BID as additionally insured in the certificate holder section as follows: "Flatiron/23rd Street Partnership, 27 West 24th Street, Suite 800B, New York, NY 10010"
- Pay a BID concession fee
- Amplified sound is permitted, but the Flatiron BID requests that production teams are sensitive to the residential and commercial buildings in the area
- Food and beverage giveaways are discouraged during the months that subconcessions operate
Apply for Plaza Permit