Tenant Protection Plan
A Tenant Protection Plan (TPP) outlines what steps the contractor and your building owner will take to protect tenants when construction or renovation happens while tenants are living in the building. The TPP works to avoid or limit service disruptions and lessen the negative impacts of construction.
Before a permit can be obtained, a contractor must submit a TPP if there is at least one occupied dwelling unit. Each construction, alteration or partial demolition permit requires its own TPP that outlines tenant protections specific to the scope of work. The elements of the TPP may vary depending on the construction project. At a minimum, your building owner must make detailed and specific provisions for:
- Egress. Clarify how adequate exits will be maintained during construction.
- Fire Safety. Identify safety measures to maintain fire safety for tenants.
- Health Requirements. Specify methods that will be used for dust control, debris disposal, pest control and maintenance of sanitary facilities. Include a statement of compliance related to lead and asbestos that describes what measures will be taken to meet mandatory requirements.
- Compliance with Housing Standards. Demonstrate compliance with the NYC Housing Maintenance Code and the New York State Multiple Dwelling Law during construction.
- Structural Safety. No structural work can be done that may endanger the occupants.
- Noise Restrictions. Identify the specific measures used to limit noise in accordance with the NYC Noise Control Code and specify the hours of the day, as well as the days of the week when the construction will occur.
- Maintaining Essential Services. Describe the means and methods that will be used to maintain heat, hot water, cold water, gas, electricity, or other utility services. Any anticipated disruption of any services, the length of disruption, steps taken to minimize the disruption, and the alternate arrangements to provide that service during the disruption must be specified. All tenants affected by the disruption must be notified.
NOTE: Each permit application for construction, alteration and partial demolition in an occupied building requires its own TPP