Selecting a Design Professional

Purchasing a house, co-op, condo, building, or land brings responsibility, and property owners must legalize any illegal construction done by prior owners. As the owner, you are responsible for any work performed on your property. Hire qualified and experienced professionals who comply with all requirements of the NYC Building Code and Zoning Resolution. Allowing unlicensed individuals to work on your property can be dangerous. Licensing, certification and registration requirements help prevent unqualified people from putting New Yorkers at risk.

New York State issues licenses for Registered Design Professionals (RDP) – Professional Engineers (PE) and Registered Architects (RA). A State-licensed RDP must submit the required plans and work permit applications to the Department. In limited cases the RDP may self-certify that their plans satisfy applicable laws and Codes.

Contact the local PE or RA industry organization to find a State-licensed RDP. Below are lists and links to New York State-licensed professionals:

New York State-Licensed Professional Engineers

Use the links below to contact the Structural Engineers Association of New York (SEAoNY) or the American Council of Engineering Companies of New York (ACEC) to find a New York State-licensed Professional Engineer.

New York State-Licensed Architects

Use the link below to find contact information for your local American Institute of Architects (AIA) chapter to find a New York State Registered Architect.

To report unprofessional conduct by a State-licensed PE or RA, contact the New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions or contact the Department of Buildings’ Internal Audits and Discipline Unit at or by phone at (212) 393-2900.

Helpful Links