Acquire Permits

The majority of construction requires a Department of Buildings permit. Most often, a New York State licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA) must file plans and pull permits before work begins.

There are many permit types, such as construction, boiler, elevator and plumbing. The primary permit applications are: New Building (NB) and Alterations Type-1, 2, and 3:

  • NB: Construction of new structures
  • ALT1: Major alterations that will change use, egress or occupancy
  • ALT2: Multiple types of work, not affecting use, egress or occupancy
  • ALT3: One type of minor work, not affecting use, egress or occupancy

A New York State licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA)must submit construction plans to obtain a permit. A Department plan examinerwill review the plans for any legal/zoning objections. When objections aresatisfied, the Department will approve the application. A licensed PE or RA mayalso certify that plans conform to all applicable laws.

Minor AlterationsWithout Permits

Someminor work does not require a permit; a PE, RA, or Department borough officemanager can explain the exceptions. For example, installing new kitchencabinets doesn’t require a permit but Contractors must have a Department ofConsumer Affairs Home Improvement Contractor License.

Filing & RecordsManagement Fees

Alicensed PE, RA, or Contractor can estimate these fees.

Plan Examiner Review & Approval

Planapproval time depends upon the project’s complexity and the issues – orobjections – to be resolved.

Project Snapshot

  • Determinethe necessary permits, and then file applications and construction drawings
  • ObtainDepartment plan approval
  • Fileand pull permits
  • Performapproved work
  • Passthe final inspections
  • Receivea new or amended Certificate of Occupancy or Letter of Completion

Helpful Links