Permit Renewals are issued on active permits and permits that have expired but have activity on the application within a two-year period of the permit expiration date for various types of general construction within the five boroughs. Job filings that were filed in DOB NOW: Build must have their permits issued and renewed in DOB NOW: Build.
For BIS job filings, the Department’s Permit Renewal Unit issues renewals as well as:
- Superseding active permits
- General Contractor' stracking number insurance update
- Reviews Work Without a Permit violations – the Unit may override or assess the civil penalty of such violations as deemed necessary.
- Process outstanding civil penalty fee payments due.
*TIP: When a Superseding Letter is Necessary
A superseding letteris required when replacing a contractor on a permit that is currently active. This letter is authorized by the owner and allows the previous contractor to be replaced on record with a newly hired contractor.*
The customer service window hours are now 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday. All walk-ins that would like their applications processed the same-day should make their submissions prior to 1:00 pm.
Renewed permits can either be downloaded or picked up from the Department. Please indicate your preference when submitting your application on the addressed return envelope.
For DOB NOW: Build job filings, the following can be done online:
- Request permit and renew a permit
- Pay permit renewal fees
- Print permit
Permit request and renewals can be submitted online at any time. Once submitted, these requests will be process by Department staff during normal business hours. Applicant can track the status of a request online. Automatic email notification will also be sent to individuals associated with the filing in the system.
Permits issued in DOB NOW: Build have an expiration date that is the earliest of:
- insurances expiration (general liability, disability, or workers’ compensation);
- license expiration;
- one year from date of issuance.
For those permits where the expiration date is less than one year from date of issuance because of expiration of an insurance or the license, the permit will now be extended automatically at no cost if the insurance or license is renewed before the expiration date.
The new expiration date will be reflected in DOB NOW at the end of the day of the current expiration date.
- General Liability expires 12/31/2018, Workers’ Compensation expires 11/15/2019, Disability expires 11/30/2019, License expires 11/30/2019
- On 10/1/2018, a permitis issued – the Expiration Date will be 12/31/2018 (earliest expiration date of insurances / license)
- On 12/15/2018, Licensing Unit processes GC’s submission of a new General Liability insurance certificate
- On 12/31/2018 end of day, DOB NOW automatically extends expiration date to 9/30/2019 (one year from original issuance date)
In order to get the automatic permit extension, renewal information must be submitted at least 5 days in advance to the DOB Licensing Unit to ensure sufficient time for processing. (See for instructions to submit new insurance certificates and for license renewal information.) If there is a lapse in insurance or license, then the licensee will need to renew the permit and pay the $130 fee. For permits that expire because it has been more than one year since the date of issuance, the licensee must also continue to renew pay the $130 fee.
Properly Completing a Permit Renewal Application for BIS Job Filing
- Notarize permit renewal application in Section 8, when a renewal with change is required
- Enclose an individual $130.00 check for each work type
- Check off only one work type per application
- Sidewalk shed permits always require approval letters in order to be renewed. The letter must include:
- A description of the condition of the building or portion of building, and the amount of work performed since issuance of the last shed permit
- An estimate of the amountof time needed to complete the work as well as the name, address and telephone number of the property owner
- An original signature and seal from a professional engineer or registered architect, attesting to the items listed above
- Remember to indicate on the addressed return envelope. Whether you want your permit to be mailed toyou or whether you plan to pick it up
- Fence Waiver letters must be signed and dated by an authorized Department of Buildings official only
In order to get a permit the following types of insurance are required for permits renewal:
- Workers Compensation and Disability Insurance are required for all permits
- Street obstruction bonds are needed for all construction equipment permits (i.e. Fence, Shed, and Scaffold)
- Liability Insurance is required for all New Building (NB) applications
Properly Completing a Permit Renewal Application for DOB NOW: Build Job Filings
- Locate initial permit filing in DOB NOW: Build and select Renew Work Permit
- Complete required information online
- Pay $130 permit renewal fee online
- Upload any required document if necessary
- Apply electronic signature
- Submit request online
BIS Permit Renewal Application Filing Steps
- Submit the PW2 application two weeks before its expiration (two copies)
- Make sure all insurance is updated on your existing tracking number or submit insurance certificates that reflect that policies are currently in effect
- Provide complete information on permit application (PW2)
- Submit $130.00 renewal fee for each work type, except for work that is exempt or fee deferred
Obtain BIS Job Filing Permit Renewal Status
- Visit Buildings Information System on our website
- Use the public computers access terminals
- Contact the Permit Renewal Unit
*TIP: Change in Business Address
Contractors must submit an original typed and notarized letter on company letterhead, which includes the old place of business address in addition to the new location of business. The contractor must also submit new original insurance certificates that include the new place of business address. Contractors must also completea renewal with change PW2 Form showing the new address.*