May 2, 2022
Small Business Advisory Commission
Download Executive Order 15
WHEREAS, the City of New York is interested in promoting the local economy and fostering workforce development through programs and initiatives that support a thriving small business community in all sectors, including industrial, manufacturing, and retail; and
WHEREAS, the City seeks to develop programs that support the formation, growth and sustainability of small businesses and promote employment for all communities; and
WHEREAS, the Small Business Advisory Commission, comprised of a diverse group of small business professionals and leaders, will provide guidance and insight to the Mayor and other policymakers to develop innovative and appropriate policies to support the City’s goals;
NOW THEREFORE, by the power vested in me as Mayor of the City of New York, it is hereby ordered:
Section 1. Establishment of the Small Business Advisory Commission. There is hereby established under the direction of the Department of Small Business Services a Small Business Advisory Commission (hereinafter the “Commission”).
(a) The Commissioner of Small Business Services shall be the chairperson of the Commission.
(b) The Commission shall consist of no fewer than thirty members, all of whom shall be appointed by the Mayor and serve at the pleasure of the Mayor.
§ 2. Duties of the Commission. The Commission shall:
- Meet at least every 60 days, in person or virtually;
- Advise the Mayor on initiatives and methods to improve the business and regulatory environment for small businesses in New York City by:
- At the chair’s direction, reviewing and proposing recommendations on new and existing policies, local laws, and rules of the City that impact small businesses, including enforcement protocols and effective communication strategies;
- Providing suggestions on the use of streets, sidewalks, plazas and other public spaces to support small businesses;
- Recommending legislative, regulatory or executive proposals to support small businesses;
- Promote programming and initiatives focused on economic development and small business;
- Support and work collaboratively with organizations in the public and private sectors that seek to improve the interaction between small businesses and regulatory requirements;
- At the end of each fiscal year, starting with the fiscal year ending on June 30, 2023, issue a report to the Mayor describing its findings, recommendations, and achievements during the prior year.
§ 3. Powers of the Commission.
- The Commission is authorized to work with federal and state governmental agencies, where appropriate. All mayoral agencies shall cooperate with the Commission in the performance of its duties.
- The Chair may establish subcommittees as may be deemed necessary for the performance and carrying out of the Commission’s duties and functions.
- The Commission may make comments on the effect of proposed policies, laws, rules on small businesses in the City of New York and may make recommendations to the Mayor for further actions.
§ 4. Effective Date. This Order shall take effect immediately.