Birth and Death Records

Order a certificate through Vitalchek  

Check the status of your order


Birth Certificates

Go to: Pre-adoption Certificates | New and Expectant Parents | Types of Certificates

VitalChek: Only Authorized Online Vendor

For the fastest service, order certified copies online through VitalChek, which is the only vendor authorized by the Health Department to process birth certificate orders.

There are unauthorized vendors charging customers high fees for help getting a birth certificate. If you ordered a certificate through an unauthorized vendor and would like to file a complaint, visit the NYC Department of Consumer Protection or call 311.

The Health Department issues birth certificates for all people who are born in New York City. You can order a certificate online, by mail or in person. We recommend ordering online through VitalChek, which is the fastest way to receive your certificate.

You may apply for a New York City birth certificate if:

  • You were born in New York City
  • You are listed on the birth certificate (as parent or registrant/child)
  • You are 18 or older

If you were born outside of New York City, including elsewhere in New York State, the CDC has information on how you can order a certificate.

For more information on applying , see Birth and Death Records: How to Apply

Each certificate costs $15, and may have an additional processing fee. For more information on fees, see Birth and Death Records: Fees.

There are two types of birth certificates:

  • Short Form: The short form is the most commonly requested certificate. It can be used for most domestic purposes. This form includes your child's first and last name, place of birth, date of birth, sex at birth and mother and father's first and last names.

  • Long Form: The long form includes additional information and is generally used for international purposes, such as dual citizenship, international adoption, international marriage, time of birth and apostille certificates.

The following application is required for all orders of both short and long forms:

If you are unable to schedule an appointment and have an emergency request related to travel, health care coverage, government services, military, housing or employment, email or call 311.

New and Expectant Parents

Parents receive a free birth certificate for newborns about four weeks after birth. Your baby's birth certificate will be based on information you provide at the hospital when you deliver. It will be automatically mailed to the parents listed on the certificate.

At the hospital, you will be asked to fill out a Mother/Parent Worksheet (PDF). You can complete this ahead of time and bring it to the hospital or give it to your midwife. The worksheet collects important information and helps your baby get a Social Security Card.

Be careful when you fill out your baby’s full name and your mailing address. Correcting a birth certificate can cost money or even require a trip to court. A mistake in the mailing address can delay delivery.

Married parents, regardless of sex, have the right to have both their names on their child's birth certificate. Some hospitals require proof of marriage. Check with the hospital to find out if you need to bring a copy of your marriage license with you.

An Acknowledgment of Parentage is a document that unmarried parents must both sign voluntarily to establish the child's legal father/parent.

Certified copies of an Acknowledgment of Parentage are free of charge. Complete the New York State Acknowledgment of Parentage application and submit by mail or in person.

Resources for Expecting Parents

Baby Name

There is no fee to add a child's given name to a birth certificate if you submit the application within 60 days of birth.

You may add a given name and submit corrections if you find missing or incorrect information at the hospital. There is no fee for changes made by the hospital if sent within 12 months of birth.

Once the baby is named, it is official. Changing a baby's name may require you to go to court and pay applicable fees. Visit the certificate corrections page for more details.

Types of Birth Certificates and Requests

Attorney Request

An attorney requesting a birth certificate on behalf of a registrant, registrant's mother or registrant's father/parent (if named on the certificate) can order a birth certificate. To submit a request, an attorney must:

  • Submit the Attorney Protocol for NYC Birth Certificates form (PDF).
  • Sign and notarize the birth certificate application.
  • Include the required fee.
  • Provide copies of the attorney's current photo identification.
  • Provide proof of attorney licensure.
  • Label the addressed envelope "Attn: Attorney Protocol Request".

The information on the forms must match the Birth Certificate record on file.

Ordering an Existing Acknowledgement of Parentage (AOP)

Certified copies of an existing acknowledgment of parentage are available for free. Complete the Application for a Copy of an Acknowledgment of Parentage (PDF) form and submit your request by mail or in person.

All in-person orders require an appointment. Click here to schedule an appointment online. If you schedule an appointment and make your request in person, you may be able to walk away with a certified copy of the acknowledgement of parentage that same day.

Send mail requests to:

Office of Vital Records
125 Worth Street, Room 119
New York, NY 10013

Non-Profit Organization Request

Non-profit groups that provide services to minor children or developmentally disabled adults may get birth and death certificates on behalf of their clients through a mailed application. For instructions on how to make this request, email the following to

  • Name of your organization
  • Description of your clients and the clients served (adults/minors).
  • Reason that the birth certificate is needed.

Pre-1910 Birth Certificates

To request a birth record from before 1910, order online through the NYC Department of Records and Information Services Municipal Archives website or call 311.

If that agency is unable to locate your record, email

Ordering a Deceased Person's Birth Certificate

The following relations can request the birth certificate of a deceased person:

  • Spouse
  • Domestic partner
  • Parent (if the deceased was 18 or younger)
  • Child
  • Sibling
  • Niece/Nephew
  • Aunt/Uncle
  • Grandchild
  • Grandniece/Grandnephew
  • Great grandchild
To request the certificate, submit:

Orders can only be made by mail.

Pre-adoption Certificates

For information on requesting a pre-adoption birth certificate, see Birth and Death Records: Pre-Adoption Certificates.

Chat: For more help ordering a certificate, you can chat online with an operator, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.