South Bronx CrosstownOverview | Updates | Design
The Bx6 is an important interborough route that serves nearly 25,000 daily riders. As of September 3, 2017, Select Bus Service began on the Bx6, giving riders another option to navigate the South Bronx and Upper Manhattan.
Select Bus Service (SBS) projects across the city have helped reduce time spent waiting for the bus, boarding the bus, and traveling. The Bx6 is a vital crosstown route that connects riders to multiple subway lines and bus routes in both the Bronx and Manhattan.
SBS routes operate in every borough and SBS improvements are customized for each SBS corridor, depending on the needs of the route. The benefits of SBS can include the following:
- Faster boarding with off-board fare payment and the ability to board the bus through any door,
- Faster, more reliable bus service with dedicated bus lanes to avoid congestion,
- A more comfortable wait with improved bus shelters and benches,
- Less time waiting at traffic lights with signal priority for buses (Transit Signal Priority),
- Know when the next bus is coming with real-time information displays,
- Get directions at bus stops with neighborhood map displays, and
- Safer streets and crossings with high-visibility crosswalks, improved medians, and reconfigured intersections.
Together, these improvements have made for faster, more reliable, and more comfortable bus service throughout the city as well as safer streets and sidewalks and more predictable roadways for drivers
We look forward to your input to improve travel in the South Bronx and Manhattan.
In November of 2015, NYC DOT and the MTA started the planning process for Bx6 South Bronx Crosstown Select Bus Service. Look here for presentations in addition to on the project NYC DOT Feedback Portal.
161st Street Design
The Bx6 bus route will receive a number of street design improvements in order to improve transit service, pedestrian safety, and roadway operations.
161st Street design features:
- Boarding islands at Sheridan Av and Sherman Av to allow bus to access curb ensure bus riders have a safe place to wait for the bus
- Conversion of tunnel to Bus Only in eastbound direction
- Improved amenities at bus stations (shelters, benches, leaning bars, etc.)
- Pedestrian safety improvements
- Off-board fare collection