Section 3.2.2 »
Chapter 3: Permits and Approvals
3.2.1 Required Documentation for a Permittee Registration Application
The required documents include:
- Completed Permittee Registration Application, found at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/regapp.pdf and in Appendix B, Forms.
- Copy of E.I.N. or Tax I.D. number as provided by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Original insurance certificates for Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance and Worker's Compensation insurance.
- CGL insurance. The applicant must satisfy all of the requirements listed in the Highway Rules, Section 2-02(a) (3) found at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/hwyrules.pdf or at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/insurancereq.pdf. Additionally, Section 2-02(a) (3) contains an indemnification provision to which all permittees are subject.
A Certificate of Insurance may be provided as proof of insurance coverage only if accompanied by a certification form by the insurance broker or insurance company attesting to the accuracy of the coverage described on the certificate. A sample certification form can be found at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/certification_broker.pdf and in Appendix B, Forms. A sample of an acceptable Certificate of Insurance can be found at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/insurancecert.pdf and in Appendix B. Applicants may provide complete copies of insurance policies instead of certificates of insurance.
The applicant must obtain CGL insurance policies written by companies that may lawfully issue such policies, with an A.M. Best rating of at least A-VII or a Standard & Poor's rating of at least AA. The CGL policy should provide coverage in the amount of no less than $1 million combined single limit per occurrence, except for applications for permits to place a crane on a street, which requires $3 million combined single limit per occurrence.
All CGL insurance policies must contain the following cancellation clause: In the event of expiration or cancellation of any such policy, the company will give the Permit Office at least 30 days' written notice prior to such expiration or cancellation.
- Worker's Compensation Insurance. Each applicant must obtain and provide Worker's Compensation insurance in accordance with the laws of the State of New York from a licensed insurance company.
- Permit Bond. Where applicable, an applicant must submit an original Permit Bond to the Permit Office at the time of permit issuance to cover all costs and expenses that may be incurred by the city as a result of the activity for which the permit is issued or for the purpose of otherwise safeguarding the interests of the city. Permit Bonds, as described in the Highway Rules, Section 2-02 (a) (4), should cover all permitted activities. Download Permit Bond templates.
- Copies of incorporation papers, licenses, and business certificate or filing receipt filed with the state of New York.
All addresses must be the same on all above referenced documents.
Instructions for Permittee Registration Application
The instructions below apply to both corporations and individuals.
For individuals, "Not Applicable" should be filled in for all corporation-related questions. Registration applications should be printed on 8 1/2"x 14" paper.
Section A: Applicant Information
- Name: Enter the name of the individual or corporation to be registered with NYC DOT. If AKA (also known as) is applicable, enter this name.
- Identification: Enter the applicant's Tax Identification Number (AKA Employer Identification Number) or the individual's Social Security Number.
- Address— Enter the applicant's contact address (street number and name).
- City, state, zip— Enter city, state and zip code.
- Telephone Number— Enter daytime telephone number.
- Fax Number— Enter applicant's fax number.
- 24-Hour Emergency Telephone Number— Enter a telephone number where the applicant can be reached at all times (for emergency situations).
- Email— Enter applicant's email address.
Section B: Applicable License Numbers
Enter the license numbers as required for each type of work to be performed, including the plumber's license number and name on license (if applicable).
Section C: Category of Work Performed
Check all types of work that will be performed by the applicant or
Section D: Work in Borough
Check each borough in which the applicant expects to work.
Section E: Authorized Representatives to Obtain Permits
Enter all persons authorized to obtain permits for the applicant, their affiliation to the applicant and their telephone number, including the name of any expediter. If the applicant makes any changes to these authorized representative(s), he or she must update the Permittee Registration Application.
Section F: Company Officers/Directors/Managing Agents/etc.
Enter at least two names of corporate officers, with title.
Section G: Designated Representative(s) to Accept Service of Summons at the Applicant's Business Office:
Enter the names of at least two people who are authorized to accept summonses for his/her corporation and who are located at his/her business address.
Section H: Signature of Company Officer
Print his/her name and title and provide a signature.
NOTARIZE THE FORM.
These instructions also can be found at:
Section 3.2.2 »