FAQs: Access-A-Ride

My Commuter Benefits payroll deduction was suspended or cancelled. How can I resume my payroll deduction?

Log into your agency’s payroll portal at https://www.commuterbenefitsnyc.com/signup.aspx. If your deduction was suspended, you can change the resumption date to have the payroll deduction resume earlier than originally scheduled. If your deduction was cancelled, you will need to re-enroll in a commuter plan to start the payroll deduction. Because of payroll timeframes, your deductions may not occur for up to two payroll periods.

I suspended or cancelled my transit order at the Edenred Commuter Benefits website. How can I resume my transit order?

Follow the steps below to resume your transit order:

  • Log into your Edenred account at https://www.commuterbenefitsnyc.com/login.aspx.
  • If you have opted out your orders, go to “Options” on the main page of your dashboard and select “Edit Order” to resume your order.
  • If your order was cancelled, select “Place an Order” and follow the prompts.
  • Update your order by the deadline which is the 10th of each month.

How does the Commuter Benefits Access-A-Ride/Paratransit Program work?

You can participate in this plan if you receive paratransit services from a transit provider in the Tri-State region. An example of such services is the Access-A-Ride program from MTA's New York City Transit.

In this plan, you fund an account with Edenred, the City's Commuter Benefit provider, with your pre-tax and post-tax payroll deductions. You can then select your Access-A-Ride coupons or other paratransit options on the Edenred system using the funds in your account. Edenred will deliver your Access-A-Ride coupons or tickets to your designated mailing address by the 1st day of each calendar month.

You schedule rides with the MTA New York City Transit Access-A-Ride paratransit service as usual. You present your MTA NYCT Access-A-Ride ID and the Access-A-Ride coupon to the Access-A-Ride provider as full payment for a single ride.

What are Paratransit Services?

Paratransit services are special public transportation options for senior citizens and persons with disabilities.

Are there any service fees for this program?

The $2.05 monthly administrative fee is paid by the City.

How is my W-2 affected?

Your taxable wages in Box 1, social security and Medicare wages in Boxes 3 and 5, and state and local wages in Boxes 16 and 18 will be reduced by the deductions from your pay for the Commuter Benefits Access-A-Ride/Paratransit Program. The $2.05 fee paid to Edenred in your behalf by the City will be shown in Box 14 as a fringe benefit and added to taxable earnings in Boxes 1, 3, 5, 16, and 18.

How much does it cost?

You assign your payroll deduction amount for this program based on your needs. After you enroll, the deductions will be taken from your wages every payday and credited to your Commuter Account at Edenred. Use the funds from your Commuter Account to purchase Access-A-Ride coupons or for other paratransit options.

Who is eligible to join the City's Commuter Benefits Access-A-Ride/Paratransit Program?

Employees who are approved to participate in the MTA New York City Transit (NYCT) Access-A-Ride Paratransit Service or any other regional area Paratransit Service program are eligible. To enroll in the City’s Commuter Benefits Access-A-Ride/Paratransit Program, you must provide a copy of a valid MTA NYCT Access-A-Ride picture ID or an acceptance letter from the Eligibility Determination Unit of NYCT.

Other regional area Paratransit Program providers will have their own eligibility criteria. You must provide a copy of a valid picture ID and proof of enrollment in the paratransit service.

If I enroll, how will I receive my Access-A-Ride/Paratransit coupons?

Edenred will mail your Access-A-Ride/Paratransit coupons directly to you at the address on file with Edenred so that they arrive before the first day of the month. For example, your February Access-A-Ride/Paratransit coupons will arrive during the last week of January. Please note you may not use your agency address.

What if my Access-A-Ride/Paratransit coupons get lost in the mail or I get the wrong pass in the mail?

Call Edenred at 833-584-8109 for assistance. You must contact Edenred to report the missing order within the first 3 business days of that month. Please note that customer service staff cannot assist with late or lost pass issues until the 1st day of the benefit month.

What happens if my Access-A-Ride/Paratransit coupons are damaged, lost or stolen?

If your coupons are damaged, you should consult with your transit provider to see what options they support. The Access-A-Ride/Paratransit Plan does not provide any reimbursement if you lose your coupons of if they are stolen. They should be safeguarded in the same manner as any other personal item.

What happens if I skip a payroll deduction?

If you skip a deduction, your participation in the Commuter Benefits Access-A-Ride/Paratransit Program is not affected. You will continue to be enrolled in the program until your eligibility for New York City Transit paratransit service expires or until you cancel your Commuter Benefits Access-A-Ride/Paratransit Program participation.

What happens when I go on vacation?

You may change or suspend your payroll deductions with your agency's Transit Benefit Coordinator and update your Access-A-Ride/Paratransit order with Edenred accordingly. You must update your order with Edenred before the 10th of each month which is the ordering deadline for home delivery of coupons.

Do I have to use all my Access-A-Ride/Paratransit coupons in a particular tax year?

Access-A-Ride/Paratransit coupons do not expire. However, you must be an active NYCT Access-A-Ride paratransit service member. A valid Access-A-Ride photo ID, in addition to the Access-A-Ride coupon, will be required for each scheduled ride.

When my participation in the Commuter Benefits Access-A-Ride/Paratransit Program ends, will I get a refund?

No. The Internal Revenue Code does not permit any funds remaining in your account to be refunded to you. The payroll deductions taken for this program must be used to purchase a qualified transit pass from your account.

What happens when I leave City employment?

If you are leaving City employment, you have 90 days after your separation date to spend the remaining funds in your account.

Will my enrollment carry over to a new agency?

Yes, your enrollment will carry over if you switch to another City agency. Your deductions will continue in your new agency.

In most cases, you will not need to re-enroll under your new agency. You may need to re-enroll to start payroll deductions if you switch from the Department of Education, a CUNY community college or a weekly paid agency like the Department of Sanitation to another City agency. However, your account at Edenred will stay intact.

How do I enroll in the Commuter Benefits Access-A-Ride/Paratransit Program?

Submit a completed Commuter Benefits Access-A-Ride / Paratransit Plan Enrollment form, along with a copy of a valid NYC Transit paratransit picture ID or an acceptance letter from the MTA New York City Transit Eligibility Determination Unit to your agency's Transit Benefit Coordinator.

For Regional Paratransit providers, you will have to provide a copy of your valid picture ID or an acceptance letter from the Regional Paratransit providers. You may also obtain an Enrollment form from your agency's Transit Benefit Coordinator.

After you have had your first payroll deduction, go to the Edenred website or call the Edenred Customer Service at 833-584-8109 Monday through Friday, 8am-8pm to elect your Access-A-Ride/Paratransit coupons. You can make your order after your first payroll deduction has been taken, but you must make your order before the 10th of each month which is the ordering deadline for home delivery of coupons. Download a 1-page guide How to Place an Order for Access-A-Ride.

  • City employees: to enroll, contact your agency's Transit Benefit Coordinator.
  • Department of Education (DoE) employees: to enroll, contact your agency's Transit Benefit Coordinator. You can also enroll by obtaining an enrollment form from the DoE website. DoE forms are mailed to the Department of Education, 65 Court Street, Room 1003, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
  • City University of New York (CUNY) Community College employees: contact your Transit Benefit Coordinator for information.*

*CUNY employees seeking MTA NYCT Access-A-Ride or other Paratransit Service providers must select the Transit Pass plan.

Who should I contact regarding my Access-A-Ride/Paratransit enrollment?

Please contact your agency's Transit Benefit Coordinator regarding enrollment, changes, deductions, and cancellations.

Enrollment forms may be obtained from your agency's Transit Benefit Coordinator, or visit the MTA website. For information about other regional paratransit service providers contact the provider directly.

For additional information or for questions on your Access-A-Ride/Paratransit options, visit Edenred website or call Edenred Customer Service at 833-584-8109 Monday to Friday, 8am-8pm.