Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings311Search all websites

Appeal a Decision

After your hearing, the OATH Hearings Division will give or mail the decision to you and the enforcement agency. If either side disagrees with the decision, they may file an appeal. If you are self-represented and you want free assistance with preparing your appeal or before your submit your appeal, please visit the Help Center section of the website to learn how to contact the Help Center and to find helpful information such as Fact Sheets on how to appeal a case.

Please note that for most types of summonses, you must pay the fine in order to appeal. If you win your appeal, you will be issued a refund. Your appeal must also be sent to the enforcement agency responsible for the summons and must be received within 30 days of the date of the decision or 35 days if the decision was mailed to you. Your decision and order also has directions on the back.

If you are self-represented and have questions about your deadlines, contact the OATH Help Center at

The easiest way to appeal is to appeal online. Alternative, you may also file your appeal by mail, in which case you must use the Hearings Division Appeal Application form.

*Note:* If you received a default judgment, do not use any of these forms. You must file a motion to reopen the defaulted case.