New York City Police Department311Search all websites

U Visa Certifications and T Visa Declarations

Resources for Some Immigrant Victims of Serious Crimes

The federal U nonimmigrant status (U visa) and the T nonimmigrant status (T visa) programs offer temporary immigration protection for victims of serious crimes who meet certain requirements. To qualify for either program, victims must show that they have assisted law enforcement investigations or prosecutions related to the serious crime. This is also known as the helpfulness requirement.

To meet this requirement, victims may request a completed law enforcement form (U certification or T declaration) from the NYPD. The NYPD does not submit these forms on behalf of the victim. Victims are responsible for submitting all forms and requests for immigration status directly to the federal government, specifically to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Only USCIS can provide immigration status. The NYPD does not provide any immigration status, nor does it advise on immigration matters.

Request a U certification from the NYPD

Request a T declaration from the NYPD

Please note, clicking the links above does not submit a request directly to the department. You must follow the submission guidelines offered on the respective pages.

For information on other agencies throughout the five boroughs of New York City that accept requests for certifications or declarations, please visit the Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs