New York City Police Department311Search all websites

Resources & Services


If you are a victim of a crime or the relative or dependent of a victim of crime, you may be eligible for compensation. The NYS Office of Victim Services (OVS) will compensate losses and expenses, including funeral expenses, related to a crime only when other sources of compensation, like workers' compensation, health insurance, homeowner's or car insurance, and social security benefits have been exhausted. In order to receive OVS compensation, you must file a claim form with OVS within one year of the crime. OVS will determine if you are eligible for compensation based on the nature of the crime and the expenses, fees, and/or property loss or damage that have resulted from it.

Learn more about the eligibility requirements for OVS compensation.