Film With DCAS - Frequently Asked Questions

Click a topic, or press the enter key on a topic, to reveal its answer.

Where is the office located?

The DCAS Special Events office is located at 1 Centre Street, New York, NY 10007.

What are your office hours?

DCAS Special Events staff are available Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Is there a location fee?

No, but there is a $3,200 administrative fee to be collected by the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting (MOFTB), prior to obtaining a required permit from MOFTB. In addition, there will be a bill for costs incurred by employing required DCAS personnel for the production.

Who determines the staff needed?

The staff is determined by DCAS based upon the size of production, location, and other complexities.

What is the timeframe to file the paperwork?

All required forms and supporting documents should be submitted to DCAS Special Events no later than 7 business days prior to the day of prepping/filming.

Do I need to submit a certificate of insurance for still photo shoots?

Yes, DCAS requires a general liability of $1,000,000; aggregate of $2,000,000. DCAS must be named as additional insured. In addition, workers compensation insurance as required by the NYS Worker's Compensation Law is necessary.

Why do I fill out a Department of Investigation form?

This form serves as a reminder to all companies and persons seeking to film on City property or in City buildings that the offering of gifts or gratuities to City employees is strictly prohibited. The signed form must be approved and on file with DCAS prior to filming on City property.

When will I get my bill?

There will be a bill sent 4 to 6 weeks after the activity is complete. Accurate and updated contact information such as an applicant's email address, mailing address, and telephone number should be supplied for purposes of receiving a reimbursement notification from DCAS.

Do you have any office space available for filming?

Office space is very limited. Cubicles are very rare and restrictions vary. Office space can be used only nights and weekends for filming.

Are cranes or heavy equipment permitted in or around a DCAS building?

Yes, but specifications must be submitted such as the weight, height, and width of equipment, including distance between wheels and how the weight will be balanced. Submitting a packaging slip is preferred. All floors must be protected from production equipment. Depending on the location, plywood or other types of coverings may be required.

Can I film on a roof?

Our roofs are generally used for panoramic shots and photo shoots, and are subject to various load capacities.

I want to film on a sidewalk adjacent to a DCAS property. Who do I contact?

DCAS’ jurisdiction often stops at the end of the last step of our buildings; to obtain accurate information for a specific building please contact the Special Events Office.

I want to film in a park adjacent to a DCAS property, who do I contact?

Do you have holding space available?

Yes, but we can only provide a holding space if you are already filming at a DCAS location.

I want to have an event in DCAS space. What do I do?