Event Space Rental - Frequently Asked Questions

Click a topic, or press the enter key on a topic, to reveal its answer.

1. Where is the office located?

The DCAS Special Events office is located at 1 Centre Street, New York, NY 10007.

2. What are your office hours?

DCAS Special Events Office is available Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Please email Special Events for an appointment.

3. What is the timeframe to submit the paperwork?

Paperwork must be submitted 6 weeks prior to the Event.

4. Why do I need to answer the Disclosure questions?

The disclosure questions in the application require answering so that DCAS can perform a background check on the entity/individual submitting the application.

5. Is there a location fee?

Please refer to the Event Fee Schedule or in the Halls of the City brochure.

6. Who determines the amount of staff needed?

The amount of DCAS staff required for the event is determined by DCAS based upon the size of the event and if there are any special requirements.

7. When will I receive my bill and when is payment due?

A notification will be sent with the total amount due after all information has been submitted regarding any special needs, and after the application has been approved. The bill must be paid as soon as possible or no later than 2 weeks prior to the event.

8. Do I need to submit a certificate of insurance and what are the requirements?

Yes. DCAS requires general liability in the amount of $2,000,000, $4,000,000 aggregate. The following language must appear in the Description of Operations portion of the certificate: "The City of New York is named as an additional insured pursuant to ISO form 2026 or the equivalent thereof, for the property described as Block ___, Lot ___ in the borough of _______.

9. I am hiring staff to work at my event. Do I need insurance for my staff?

Yes. Proof of workers' compensation or a workers’ compensation waiver must be supplied as required by the laws of the State of New York. Please note that DCAS cannot accept ACORD Certificate Liability Insurance as proof of workers compensation.

10. Can I serve alcohol at my event?

Yes. In order to serve alcohol, a liquor license is required which must be issued by the State of New York.

11. Will DCAS supply parking for my event?

No, DCAS cannot supply parking.

12. Do you have kitchen facilities?

No, we do not have kitchen facilities.

13. What are the permitted weekday event hours?

Monday through Friday: The property is accessible after 5:00 pm and the event must conclude by 12:00 am. This does not include preparation or break down.

14. What are the permitted weekend event hours?

The property is accessible as early as 7:00 am on Saturday and Sunday. The event must conclude by 1:00 am. This does not include the time it takes to break down the event.

15. Can I prep before 5:00 pm during the week?

Upon request, prep time may be available before 5:00 pm as long as it does not prevent pedestrians from entering into the building.

16. How long do I have to breakdown my event?

One hour is included in the fee. Additional time will result in an additional fee.