Legal Representation

Legal Representation

The Civil Service Commission does not provide attorneys for appellants and you do not need an attorney to represent you in an appeal or at a hearing. However, should you wish to hire an attorney, you may hire one privately. Many private attorneys who appear before the Commission advertise in "The Chief" municipal newspaper.

You may also contact your local bar association or legal services provider to see if you can obtain an attorney who will take your case at no charge or for a negotiated fee. You may contact the following groups for more information:

  • Legal Aid Society
    199 Water Street
    New York, NY 10038

  • MFY Legal Services
    299 Broadway
    4th Floor
    New York, NY 10007

  • Legal Referral Service
    New York City Bar Association
    42 West 44th Street
    New York, NY 10036

The Civil Service Commission does not give legal advice and does not recommend the services of any particular attorney or organization.