Metropolitan provides the highest quality care to newborns, infants, children and adolescents. Our Pediatric service has 14 acute care beds, 15 newborn bassinets and 15 Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit beds. Care is provided in a family oriented, supportive and nurturing environment by a multidisciplinary team. The ambulatory care service has more then 30,000 visits annually, including well child care, preventive care, acute illness care, adolescent medicine services as well as specialty pediatric services.
Metropolitan’s pediatric services have been awarded Recognition by the National Committee for Quality Assurance Physician Practice Connections® - Patient Centered Medical Home™ Program. The Patient Centered Medical Home standards emphasize the use of systematic, patient-centered, coordinated care that supports access, communication and patient involvement. The medical home designation recognizes Metropolitan’s model of care, where each patient has an ongoing relationship with a personal physician who leads a team that takes collective responsibility for comprehensive care of the patient. As a medical home, we ensure that coordinated care and long term healing replace episodic care based on illness.
Learn more about our Special Programs and Youth Health Services (see below).
Special Programs include
- Children’s Asthma Program and Asthma Case Management provided by a team of physicians with board certification in Allergy Immunology and Pulmonology, bilingual social workers, health educators, nursing staff and respiratory therapists.
- Neuro-developmental and Behavioral Services provided by a team of board certified developmental behavioral specialists as well as child neurologists.
- Nutrition counseling services to address the problem of overweight and obesity in children.
- Special Care Newborn Clinic for follow-up of premature newborns after they are discharged from the NICU.
- Medical Home program for Children with Special Health Care Needs to coordinate care for infants and children with complex, chronic illnesses.
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Nutrition Program.
Youth Health Services
We provide confidential and comprehensive medical, family planning and health education services to male and female adolescents up to age 19. Patients are referred by their schools, community based organizations, their families, or through self-referral. The program’s staff includes gynecologists, adolescent medicine pediatricians, certified midwives, nurse practitioners, social workers, health educators, certified HIV counselors and support staff trained to work with teenagers. Patients are encouraged to come by themselves or accompanied by a parent, guardian, friend, or loved one.
Care provided includes
- Contraceptive methods to start at first visit
- Emergency contraception
- Primary preventative health care
- Physicals for schools, camps, jobs, etc.
- Abstinence counseling
- Health education
- Confidential rapid HIV testing and counseling
- Free pregnancy test
- Sexually transmitted disease (STD) screening and treatment
- Peer education program
- Social work services
All services are free and confidential. To make an appointment, call 212-423-6603.