IMPORTANT update to Section 8 Debit Card users only. Timely action required to update payment method to ensure no disruption in subsidy payments. click here

Go to the Owner Extranet


Infographic that shows the info below; how to become a Section 8 property owner with NYCHA

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program is a federally-funded HUD program that provides rental assistance for quality units chosen by the voucher holder in the private rental market. NYCHA's HCV program is the largest in the country. Over 25,000 Section 8 property owners participate in the program, encompassing over 85,000 units. Over 200,000 New Yorkers currently receive Section 8 rental subsidies.

Are you a property owner?

NYCHA’s Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program may be right for you!

  • List your vacant units for free
  • Rent your units quickly and receive monthly government-funded payments
  • Over 1,000 tenants searching for a unit

Start at or call 1-866-466-7328

Owners can add their units and new rental comparables through our partner, Any units and/or comparables submitted will be validated by If you have any questions, please contact our partner, at 866-466-7328:

Benefits of Becoming a NYCHA Section 8 Property Owner

Becoming a Section 8 property owner with NYCHA is fast, easy, and has many benefits.

NYCHA will schedule your unit for a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection within five business days of receipt of an approved tenant rental packet. No walk-in Center appointments are required for the submission of rental packets by our customers.

List your vacant units online exclusively with NYCHA

free of charge. Section 8 voucher holders can now access your available apartment listings online directly from the NYCHA Tenant Self-Service Portal. Listing and managing your online apartment referrals is very easy. Just log onto the NYCHA Owner Extranet and click on “List Vacant Apartments.” You can add or remove online apartment referrals at your convenience.

NYCHA makes all monthly Housing Assistance Payments to owners electronically. Electronic banking allows for immediate access to your money on the first of every month and eliminates trips to the banks. Payment history details and tenant rent shares are readily available via the Owner Extranet. To enroll, go to the Owner Extranet and complete the Direct Deposit Enrollment form.

Become a Section 8 Property Owner

If you are interested in becoming a Section 8 property owner, the voucher holder will provide you with a rental packet to be filled out, which includes the following documents: 

Please call the Customer Contact Center at 718-707-7771 if you have any questions with this process.

Register on the NYCHA Owner Extranet/Self-Service Portal

Property owners can view and manage their entire Section 8 portfolio online, any time
24 hours a day, 7 days a week on the NYCHA Owner Extranet.

Housing Discrimination Is Illegal

It is illegal for owners of the following property types to refuse a voucher or public rental assistance:

  • Apartment building or multiple family dwelling
  • Co-op
  • Condominium
  • Government-assisted housing
  • Residential hotel *.

* SRO (Single Room Occupancy) and hotels may be considered public accommodations

Change of Ownership

NYCHA will process a change of ownership only if the request is accompanied by proper documents of ownership (copy of the deed or title) and proper documentation of the sale agreement. All documents must be submitted within 60 days of the closing. NYCHA will begin Section 8 payments to the new owner once all documents have been reviewed and approved by NYCHA. The following documents must be submitted to process a change of ownership:
  • NYCHA Section 8 Property Owner Registration form
  • NYCHA Landlord Payment Affidavit form (only if there is more than one owner)
  • Recorded deed
  • W-9 form for the payee

Based on the type of unit(s) you own, NYCHA may require additional documents to process the change of ownership. Below is a list of additional documents that may be required:

  • Buildings under receivership and 7A administrators must provide the court order appointing the receiver or 7A administrator
  • Condominium owners must provide unit deeds
  • Cooperative owners must provide proprietary leases and the share certificate
  • When the owner is an estate, letters of testamentary (court documents) are required.

Reporting Fraud

Committing fraud is a violation of the Section 8 program's rules and responsibilities. NYCHA will take action against applicants, program participants, and owners who commit fraud, bribery, or other corrupt or criminal acts. Program participants who commit fraud could be required to repay all overpaid rental assistance, arrested, fined and/or imprisoned, or have their Section 8 assistance terminated.

If you know someone who commits fraud, bribery or other corrupt or criminal acts, please make an anonymous complaint  by calling NYCHA's Inspector General's Office at 212-306-3355, Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Voucher Payment Standards and Utility Allowance Schedules

Voucher Payment Standards (VPS) and Utility Allowance Schedules are the maximum amount of subsidy NYCHA will pay to the owner on behalf of a voucher holder. NYCHA's payment standard schedule is based on the Fair Market Rent (FMR) for each unit size established by HUD. These standards can be set between 90 percent and 110 percent of the published FMR. Please view VPS and Utility Allowance Schedules for the most up-to-date information.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)