We are committed to making New York City a global hub for game development and the digital games industry in conjunction with the Mayor’s Rebuild, Renew, Reinvent: A Blueprint for New York City's Economic Recovery.
NYC SUMMER OF GAMES
Current and Upcoming Events
Game Devs of Color Expo – September 27-30
- The Game Devs of Color Expo is dedicated to amplifying the creative power held by people of color in games while creating a games industry that is intersectional and equitable.
Microsoft's Minecraft Education Battle of the Boroughs Mayor’s Cup – June 10, 10am-4pm
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
- Presented in partnership by MOME and New York City Public Schools, the event will include a Digital Games Career Expo with promotional items provided by the Mayor’s Office of Sports, Wellness and Recreation (MOSWR). The Battle of the Boroughs was launched online three years ago by New York City Public Schools in partnership with Microsoft and Minecraft Education. Building on the City's strategic climate plan, developed by the Mayor’s Office of Climate and Environmental Justice (MOCEJ), this year’s Battle of the Boroughs challenge was for students to create the most inclusive future-ready city spaces.
Tribeca Games and Immersive Experience at the 2023 Tribeca Festival – June 9-17
Spring Studios - 50 Varick Street, New York, NY 10013
- The Tribeca Games and Immersive Experience, held during the 2023 Tribeca Festival, presented by OKX, is a showcase celebrating the emergence of new forms of entertainment: games that can be played at home, on the street, or in modern-day galleries, alongside the latest 3D works from world-renowned XR artists.
- In addition to the Games & Immersive Experience, Tribeca will host industry talks and special games events featuring Alan Wake 2, Hideo Kojima and more.
PaleyGX Gaming Studio and VR Lab – Summer 2023
Paley Museum - 25 West 52 Street, New York, NY 10019
- Admission is free at the Minecraft Build Challenge (June 10) and Fortnite Tournament (June 11) where visitors will have the opportunity to play the hottest games on the latest systems at the ultimate family friendly gaming destination.
- Major League Baseball fans will be able to watch a livestream of the Home Run Derby on the big screen, hit their own homers on Home Run Derby VR, and play MLB The Show 23 on PlayStation 5 and XBox (July 10).
- The Gaming Studio and VR Lab are open all summer long, Wednesday-Sunday, 12-6pm.
Mouse Emoti-Con 2023 – June 13, 9am-12pm
Microsoft Tech Center - 11 Times Square, New York, NY 10036
- The 15th Annual Emoti-Con NYC Youth Digital Media & Technology Challenge is an educational experience that brings together student innovators and tech professionals from across all five boroughs in NYC. The event is a showcase of student project presentations, presents keynote addresses, and provides authentic networking conversations that foster real career connections, hosted in partnership with Microsoft and HIVE New York.
Gaymer Pride – June 18th, 12pm-6pm
Samsung 837, 837 Washington St, New York, NY 10014
- There are several gaming areas throughout the venue, some special guests, and a VIP afterparty at Rebar NYC (as the event in the day is free, we host an afterparty to fundraise for NYC Gaymers, Inc 501c3.).
20th Anniversary Games for Change Festival – July 14-21
The Times Center & Microsoft Times Square
- G4C Games & SDG Summit (July 17): A first-of-its-kind, invite-only summit at the United Nations Headquarters (Delegates Dining Room) that will activate the games and XR sector to support key UN Sustainable Development Goals for leaders across industries.
- Games for Change Festival (July 18-19): The landmark two-day event draws a cross-sector community of global changemakers, developers, executives, and fans for talks, workshops, networking, and more around the power of games and immersive media.
- XR for Change Summit (July 20): Explore emerging technologies shaping the future of social innovation and today's most cutting-edge immersive experiences that are unlocking new pathways for social impact.
- G4C Next Gen Fest (July 21): New for 2023, this invite-only event will bring youth ages 13-18 together to learn, create, and shape the future of video games for impact across education, civics, health, science, and more.
Play NYC – August 5-6
Metropolitan Pavilion - 125 W. 18th Street, NY NY 10011
- The highly anticipated New York gaming convention is back for its 8th edition, bringing together creators and fans from the local area and beyond. With a brand-new venue, Play NYC is a two-day immersive in-person celebration where attendees can experience a wide array of playable games from both renowned studios and independent developers. Play NYC showcases the talents of the vibrant NYC games industry, with creators on-site to interact with visitors. Don't miss out on the opportunity to play the most exciting games emerging from NYC and meet the brilliant minds behind them.
Urban Arts – Summer 2023
- The annual end-of-year celebration, the Urban Arts ARCADE EXPO on June 24, provides a platform for students to present their games from a full year of game devs—and get feedback from industry pros & CCNY Gaming Pathways professors. Plus workshops, master classes, and big-time game-playing.
- Starting August 7, students can begin registering for the Urban Arts Video Game Design After-School program. This year-long after-school program is for high-school students and will provide instruction on how to create your very own video game. Learn coding, animation, music, and storytelling—and play with other gamers. This program is no cost to eligible students and runs onsite at the Flatiron Learning Lab.
Harlem Gallery of Science and the City College of New York host Esports Valorant Competition – August 19, 11am-5pm
Ballroom of the North Academic Center (NAC), 160 Convent Avenue (138th & Convent)
- Harlem Gallery of Science and the City College of New York are hosting the Esports Valorant Competition among four CUNY Colleges - Baruch College, Brooklyn College, CCNY, and Hostos Community College. The competition will be broadcast on Twitch.TV.
The City College of New York will host the Come Out and Play Festival – August 20, 10am-4pm
The City College North Campus; W 138th Street and Convent Avenue
- Digital Game Design Program @ CCNY. The festival is for families with children and adults playing together, teens and adults playing alone.
PROGRAMS & INITIATIVES
"Made in NY" Marketing Credit for Digital Games
Provides advertising opportunities, on subway cars and other City assets throughout the five boroughs, for digital games made in NYC – the #1 media market in the country.
2021 NYC Digital Games Industry Economic Impact Study
Details specifics on the digital games sector's significance and contribution to New York City's economy. Major findings of the report conclude that in 2020 the industry supported 7,600 jobs, $762 million in wages, and $2 billion in economic output.
CCNY Gaming Pathways
Includes opportunities for high school students in Harlem, Upper Manhattan and the South Bronx to pursue a bachelor’s degree in digital game design and prepare for future careers in New York City’s rapidly growing digital gaming industry.
"Made in NY" Logo Program for Digital Games
Supplies qualified digital gaming companies with the ability to use the City's "Made in NY" logo in their game's packaging, title screen and/or game website.
Game Development Industry Council
Advises the city's policies and programs in the games development sector. The first-ever Council is made up of various leaders from the industry, including digital game publishers, studios, vr/ar creators, financiers, as well as educators and trade organization representatives.
March 23, 2023 - NYC Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Marketing Credit Program For Digital Games Made in NYC
March 8, 2023 - Mayor Adams and Schools Chancellor Banks Announce Launch of the Minecraft Education Battle of the Boroughs Esports Competition
October 6, 2022 - NYC Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment Presents First-Ever "Made in NY" Grant at the Game Devs of Color Expo
May 16, 2022 - Mayor Adams Takes Steps to Transform New York City Into Global Hub for Digital Games Industry
November 22, 2021 - Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment Releases First-Ever NYC Digital Games Industry Report
DOWNLOADABLE DIGITAL ASSETS
Please find videos and photos here.