Report Housing Discrimination

Report Housing Discrimination

Under local, state and federal law, property owners and their representatives may not deny housing to prospective tenants on the basis of race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender (including sexual harassment), gender identity, age, marital or partnership status, disability, alienage or citizenship status, legal occupation, or lawful source of income. Furthermore, tenants may not be denied housing because they have children. Fair Housing NYC, a joint effort by HPD and the NYC Commission on Human Rights (CCHR), provides information on the protected classes under the City Human Rights Law.

How to File A Complaint

If you believe you have been the victim of housing discrimination in New York City, file a complaint with the Law Enforcement Bureau of the New York City Commission on Human Rights (the Commission) by calling 718-722-3131 or by calling 311 and asking for the New York City Commission on Human Rights. The Commission's services are free of charge.

When you contact the Commission, you will be invited to schedule an appointment to meet with a staff attorney. Please bring photo identification and all relevant information covered in the complaint, such as names, addresses, and phone numbers of the people or organizations you are charging, and the exact dates of the events.

The Commission is located at:

22 Reade Street, First Floor
New York, NY 10007

If you are unable to visit the Commission's offices, alternative arrangements will be made.

The New York City Human Rights Law requires that the complaint be filed within one year from the date of the last alleged act of discrimination. You cannot file a complaint with the Commission if you have already filed a discrimination complaint with any other court or agency, including the New York State Division of Human Rights, the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, or any state or federal court.