September 29 Flash Flood Event

A flooded street in NYC.

Was your home or property damaged by rain or flooding on September 29?

9/29 Event Disaster Loan Assistance Update 

Eligible New York City residents and businesses in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island affected by the significant flash flooding event on September 29, 2023, may now apply for low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration. These loans are made available for those whose homes and/or businesses were damaged due to flooding. The filing deadline to submit applications is February 2, 2024 for physical damage, and September 4, 2024 for economic injury.

For more information and to apply, please visit the SBA Disaster Loan Portal. 







Haitian Creole






Disaster Loan Outreach Centers (DLOCs)

You can also submit an application in person at two Disaster Loan Outreach Centers (DLOC), which are staffed by SBA personnel. The DLOCs open on Wednesday December 6 at 11:00 am, and close Friday, December 22. 

United Jewish Organizations 
32 Penn Street 
Brooklyn, NY 11249 

  • Monday-Thursday:           9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. ET  
  • Friday:                              9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. ET 
  • Saturday:                          Closed   
  • Sunday:                            10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. ET  
  • Permanently closes December 22, 2023 at 12:00 p.m. ET.  

Health Essentials 
2336 86th Street 
Brooklyn, NY 11214 

  • Monday-Friday:                 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. ET  
  • Saturday:                           10:00 a.m. -2:00 p.m. ET 
  • Sunday:                              Closed  
  • Permanently closes December 22, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. ET.  

How to Clean Up Your Home and Property Safely

Click a topic, or press the enter key on a topic, to reveal its answer.

First Steps

  • Call 911 if you are in immediate danger.
  • Watch out for fallen power lines and stay away from damaged areas.
  • Stay tuned to Notify NYC.
  • Tune in to local TV and radio for officials' announcements.
  • Before re-entering a building, check for structural damage. Make sure it is not in danger of collapsing. Turn off any outside gas lines at the meter or tank, and let the building air out for several minutes to remove foul odors or escaping gas.
  • Watch for electrical shorts or live wires before turning off the main power switch. Do not turn on any lights or appliances until an electrician has checked the system for short circuits.
  • Throw out fresh food and previously opened medicines that have come into contact with floodwaters.
  • New York City tap water is safe to drink, including in areas with flooding, unless otherwise reported by City officials. If your water service was disrupted, run the tap for at least 30 seconds and until the water runs cold and clear. Replace all ice machine filters and beverage dispenser filters, and flush all water lines for five minutes. Visit the NYC Department of Environmental Protection's website for any updates on New York City drinking water.

Assessing and Repairing Damage

  • When surveying flood damage in a building look out for mold, any newly formed cracks along the wall, and signs of foundation damage including bulging walls.
  • Heavy flooding can have a significant effect on the structural stability of outdoor structures such as decks, porches and retaining walls. Take extra precaution near these outdoor structures, due to the potential for collapse.
  • Flooding can also cause the soil around buildings to shift. Be cautious of sink holes forming on your property, especially near septic systems. Avoid areas around large trees if the surrounding soil is soft.
  • Owners who want to reoccupy residences damaged by flooding should first hire a New York State-licensed Registered Architect or Professional Engineer to assess the building's safety. If the building is not safe to occupy, the owners should seek alternative housing arrangements while repairs are made. Owners should take pictures of all damage and flood impacts and keep receipts for all repairs if they intend to apply for disaster assistance or to make an insurance claim.
  • Extensive repair work in a building may require the services of a registered contractor as well as NYC Department of Buildings-issued work permits. Electrical wiring repairs will require the services of a licensed electrician. Gas plumbing system repairs will require the services of a licensed plumber. Check the license status of these construction professionals here.
  • Before starting any major repairs at your building, contact a construction professional or the Department of Buildings.
  • To make repairs, owners need to work with an engineer or architect who has the necessary City-authorized permits. The City advises residents to obtain two or three quotes from different contractors before beginning the work, which can vary widely in price depending on various field conditions. If an owner needs assistance with applications for permits, they should contact 311 (212-639-9675 for Video Relay Service, or TTY: 212-504-4115).
  • Licensed Master Plumbers performing emergency work to address a hazardous situation, restore essential services, and maintain sanitary conditions, have the ability to file an Emergency Work Notifications with the Department online, which allows them to start repairs immediately with no wait time from the NYC Department of Buildings. The plumber can then submit the paperwork for any required permits with the Department after the job is already completed.
A flooded road that leads into a tunnel

Cleaning After Flooding

  • Dry all areas and items quickly and thoroughly.
  • Dry clean or wash and dry all clothing and other home items. Clean floors, furniture, and other surfaces with detergent and water.
  • Stay out of deep water. Extensive flooding damage may require clean-up and restoration by professionals.
  • If your basement or cellar is flooded, use caution when pumping out the water. Pumping out flood water from a building too quickly could cause serious structural damage. The water must be drained slowly to equalize pressure on both sides of building walls.
  • Keep children, pets and people with compromised immune systems away until the area has been cleaned and disinfected.
  • Use protective eyewear and waterproof gloves and boots when cleaning or coming into contact with sewage.
  • Remove standing shallow water. Make sure to dry all objects and surfaces thoroughly to avoid mold growth.
  • Deep water and extensive flood damage may require professional cleanup and restoration.
  • Throw away any food (including packaged food) that may have been touched by sewage water.
  • Use soap and water to clean surfaces contaminated with sewage.
  • To disinfect, wipe surfaces with a bleach solution (half cup bleach in one gallon of water). Non-bleach sanitizers can also be used.
  • WARNING: Never mix bleach with ammonia or detergents containing ammonia products since dangerous gases may be created. Bleach can damage some materials, so use with caution.
  • Wash clothes, bedding and other fabrics contaminated with sewage with detergent and water. Dry them thoroughly. Dry clean items that cannot be washed.
  • If fuel is found floating on top of water in a flooded basement, please refer to NYS Department of Environmental Conservation - Guidance on Oil Cleanup for information on cleanup and reporting oil spills. The oil should be removed before the water is pumped out. If the oil is not removed first, the floors and walls will be coated with oil as the water is removed.
  • After you finish cleaning, disinfect your boots and gloves with a solution of one half cup household bleach in one gallon of water. Rinse with clear water and allow the boots and gloves to air dry.

Preventing Mold Growth

  • Remove all wet, porous materials.
  • Fix leaks or report them to your building owner as soon as possible.
  • Use dehumidifiers if available. If the power is out, open windows for ventilation.

More Resources on Cleaning Up

Getting Help From Your Insurance

  • If you rent your home, renter's insurance will insure the items inside your apartment. If you are a homeowner, make sure your home is properly insured.  
    • Note: Protection against property loss due to flooding is typically not covered under renters and homeowner's insurance policies. For more information, visit
  • If you have a flood insurance policy (either as a homeowner or renter) and experienced flood damage from the flash flood event, you should submit your loss to your insurance agent as soon as possible and begin documenting the damage. You'll need to provide proof of loss to your insurance company within 60 days of the flood. For more details on the claims process, follow these steps from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
  • Anyone in New York City is eligible for flood insurance. 
  • Flood insurance covers losses directly caused by flooding. In simple terms, a flood is an excess of water on land that is normally dry, affecting two or more acres of land or two or more properties. 
  • Homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. 
  • If you do not have flood insurance, consider buying it to be protected from the next flood. 

A view of a house with alot of wooden and building material debris lying out in the front yard