Relief & Recovery Resources

Following a disaster, recovery resources will be offered to aid New Yorkers, businesses and community organizations, and government agencies. 

For additional information about housing recovery, business resiliency, resiliency and infrastructure, and disaster recovery funding, visit the NYC Recovery  website.


  • Reduce Your Risk
    • Get insurance.  Review your renter’s or homeowner's insurance policy to understand what is covered from hazards. For example, protection against loss due to floods is typically not covered under a homeowner's policy.
      • To apply for flood insurance or to contact the National Flood Insurance Program: visit , or call 1-888-379-9531.
      • After experiencing flooding, contact your insurance agent right away. Once your insurance agent has your claim:
        • The agent will file a Notice of Loss.
        • An adjuster will be assigned to your case.
        • Once the loss has been adjusted, a Proof of Loss will be submitted, and payment can be made.
      • Partial payment can be made to claimants upon submission of a partial Proof of Loss
      • Protection against loss due to floods is not covered under a homeowner's policy. It is provided through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and administered by FEMA. Contact your property/casualty agent or broker about eligibility for flood insurance, which is offered through the National Flood Insurance Program.
      • Flood insurance covers direct physical loss caused by floods, or an excess of water on land that is normally dry. Check with your insurance policy to confirm if sewer back-ups (SBUs) are covered if SBUs occur in flooding conditions.
      • Flood Insurance & Resources
      • Make sure to take pictures of your property before and after an event to help with any future insurance or assistance claims.
    • Prepare yourself and your home for future storms.
      • Consider improvements to your home to prepare for future storms. engages and informs NYC homeowners about how they can protect their homes and finances from flooding. The website provides detailed information about certain home improvements that you can make to reduce flood damage and help lower your flood insurance rates.
      • Hire a professional.  Hire a New York State-licensed Registered Architect or Professional Engineer to check the condition of your property. These professionals also can determine the best option for retrofitting to your home, which means altering the existing structure to reduce or eliminate the possibility of damage.
      • Hazard Mitigation Assistance. Hazard Mitigation Assistance provides funding to state and local governments for long-term planning solutions that reduce the impact of hazards on property and human life. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) administers several hazard mitigation assistance programs that are available for jurisdictions after a presidentially-declared disaster.
    • Clean your property , including your roof, crawlspaces, vents, decks/patios, and gutters, and dispose of any debris that could become projectiles during a storm. Tip: if severe weather is expected in your area, tie down any loose items, such as outdoor furniture, that may become projectiles.
    • Sign Up for Notify NYC!
      • New Yorkers are encouraged to sign up for Notify NYC, the City's free emergency notification system. Through Notify NYC, New Yorkers can receive phone calls, text messages, and/or emails alerts about traffic and transit disruptions and other emergencies. Sign up to receive free emergency alerts and updates in your preferred language, register by visiting , calling  311  (212-639-9675 for Video Relay Service, or TTY: 212-504-4115), following  @NotifyNYC  on Twitter, or getting the free  Notify NYC mobile application  for your Apple or Android device.


  • Coping with Disasters
    • The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's website  provides tips and resources on how to cope after emergencies.
    • NYC Well
      • For mental health information, a referral, or if you need to talk to someone, call  NYC Well, New York City's confidential, 24-hour Mental Health Hotline at 1-888-NYC-WELL (1-888-692-9355).
        • Relay Service for Deaf/Hard of Hearing: Call 711
      • Interpreters are available for 200+ languages. Stay on the line, and you will be connected with a counselor who can connect you to translator services.
  • Finding Loved Ones after Disasters
    • There are resources available to help you locate family and friends that have been affected by a disaster.
      • The City provides information about the status of a missing person. The City also accepts additional information about a missing person already reported.  Call 911 to report a missing or kidnapped person.Learn more from 311.
      • Get information about the Federal Emergency Management Agency's National Emergency Family Registry and Locator System. Learn more at the Planning Materials page.
      • Learn more about the American Red Cross' resources to help reunite friends and family who have been resources that helps reunite friends and family.
      • Contact the American Red Cross through its International Reconnecting Families  inquiry form.
      • Use the Google Person Finder.
      • Use the  Facebook Safety Check .
      • National Center for Missing & Exploited Children: anyone who finds a child who may be separated from parents or caregivers, please contact the local police and enter basic information and/or a photo into the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children's Unaccompanied Minors Registry. If you find an unaccompanied child, please indicate whether the child has a disability or has access and functional needs in the appropriate field in the Unaccompanied Minors Registry. If you do not have access to the Internet, please call 1-866-908-9570. 
      • Visit Humanity Road online, a charity organization that specializes in sourcing critical information and resources when disaster strikes.


  • FEMA Disaster Assistance
  • Community Assistance
    • IDNYC. IDNYC is a free government issued photo ID card for all New York City residents ages 10 and above and provides access to a wide range of services and discounts. IDNYC applicants' information is confidential. Immigration status does not matter. Renew your card online by visiting . To request an updated card or to replace a lost card, make an appointment to visit an enrollment center by going to or by calling 311.
    • New York State DMV. The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) aids in obtaining duplicate documentation such as vehicle title, license, identification and/or vehicle registration. Please note: Individuals will need to go through their insurance if their car has been impacted. Make a reservation:
    • Immigrant Affairs. The Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs (MOIA) helps community members who have lost their identification cards obtain an IDNYC and answers immigration-related questions and concerns. If you have questions about immigration or how to access City services, help in your language is available. Call the Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs (MOIA) hotline at 212-788-7654 from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., or email
    • NYC Department for the Aging. Eligibility Information: 60+ for senior centers and 55+ employment criteria. For more information call 311 or 212-Aging-NYC (212-244-6469).
    • Office of Child and Family Services (OCFS). OCFS provides assistance finding childcare, childcare provider grants, and after-school care referrals. Visit or call 1-800-345-5437 for more information.
    • Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA). OTDA provides social services, such as rental assistance, refugee assistance, and assistance through the Department of Disability Determinations. Visit or call 855-355-5777 for more information.
  • Pet Assistance
    • The Animal Care Centers of NYC (ACC) and ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) offer pet supplies.
      • ACC: For assistance with Lost & Found services, call 212-510-7107.
      • ASPCA:
  • Get Involved