Opening a Restaurant

To open a restaurant in NYC, you need certain certificates, permits and licenses from various city and state agencies, including the Health Department.

  • To see which type of permit and licenses you may need to apply for, visit our food service establishment permits page.
  • For help opening your business, visit NYC Small Business Services Start a Business portal.
  • To organize and maintain all of your NYC permits in one place, sign up for NYC Business.

Applying for a Health Department Permit/Designing a Restaurant

Learn More About

More Resources