Department of Homeless Services311Search all websites

Single Adults: Applying for Temporary Housing Assistance

DHS employee assiting a client

Where do single adults apply for shelter?


All single adult males must apply at:

30th Street Intake Center

400-430 East 30th Street
New York, NY

30th Street is open 24 hours per day, including weekends and holidays.

How to Get There:
Subway: Take the 6 train to 28th Street. Walk east to 1st Avenue, turn left, and go north to 30th Street. Entrance is now at 30th Street and 1st Avenue.


All single adult women must apply at:

Franklin Shelter

1122 Franklin Avenue (near 166th Street)
Bronx, NY

How to Get There:
Take the 2 train to 149th Street, followed by the #55 bus to 166th Street and 3rd Avenue.

Help Women's Center

116 Williams Avenue
Brooklyn, NY

How to Get There:
Take the L train to Atlantic Ave, and walk south towards Williams Ave

Homeless individuals who have been in shelter in the last 12 months should return to the same shelter.

What do single adults need to bring to the intake center in order to apply for temporary housing assistance?

The following forms of ID are very helpful during the intake process (but are not required):

  • Any form of ID with a picture and proof of age, such as a driver's license, state-issued ID, passport or visa, welfare card or green card
  • Social Security card
  • Medicaid card, if available
  • If working, your most recent pay stub

What if I don't speak English?

Interpreter assistance will be made available for individuals who do not speak English.