Department of Homeless Services311Search all websites

Rent Issues

Group of brown NYC apartment buildings

A variety of government agencies and nonprofit organizations provide support to those who have fallen behind on rent.

CITYFEPS Rent Supplement Program

The CityFHEPS rental assistance program provides New Yorkers in need with financial assistance to cover the rent, helping New Yorkers experiencing homelessness exit shelter and into permanent housing and helping New Yorkers experiencing housing instability remain in their homes.Visit here for more information about the CityFHEPS program, including to determine whether you and your family are eligible for this assistance.

Rental Arrears Grants for Single Adults and Families

The New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA) can assist tenants who have legal possession of an apartment, or applicants who have been evicted but whose landlords are willing to continue renting the apartment, by paying their arrears through a rental arrears grant. Grants are available for Public Assistance recipients and for those people ineligible for Public Assistance. Families and single adults are eligible.

Visit 311 Online to contact the HRA Job Center in your area and apply for a rental arrears grant.

Homeless Prevention Fund

The Homeless Prevention Fund provides emergency financial assistance to households Citywide, who are unable to secure sufficient assistance through available programs and are at imminent risk of homelessness due to rent arrears. The Fund offers emergency financial assistance to low-income households who meet all of the following criteria:
  • Household income range between $15,000 and $30,000 annually
  • An eviction petition has been filed
  • The household has the ability to pay rent in the future.

For more information on the Homeless Prevention Fund, please contact:

Coalition for the Homeless
129 Fulton Street
New York, NY 10038
Eviction Prevention Hotline: (212) 776-2039

The Bridge Fund
105 East 22nd Street, Suite 621 E
New York, NY 10010
Phone: (212) 674-0812

Community Service Society
105 East 22nd Street, Room 409
New York, NY 10010
Phone: (212) 614-5375

Free Legal Representation to Prevent Eviction

Under New York City's Right to Counsel law, NYC tenants facing eviction in housing court have the right to free and confidential legal representation, advice, and/or counsel to help them stay in their homes. Right to Counsel legal services are free and available to all New Yorkers regardless of their immigration status. More information can be found here.

Foreclosure Prevention

The Center for New York City Neighborhoods is a nonprofit entity founded by the City of New York, The New York City Council, and nonprofit partners to expand and coordinate services to homeowners and tenants facing foreclosure actions. Services include counseling, legal assistance, loan remediation, and preventive outreach, as well as education, research, and advocacy. Visit 311 Online for assistance.