The Padlock Unit enforces the City’s Administrative Code and Zoning Resolution to protect our quality of life and prevent dangerous conditions. The Unit stops illegal manufacturing and commercial uses in residential neighborhoods and certain commercial districts.
The property owner and business occupants may show their use is legal or move the business to a legal location. Otherwise, the Unit will take action at the Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings (OATH). If the judge rules for the Department, we’ll issue an Order of Closure, post Closure Notices and padlock the premises. It’s illegal to remove a posted Order of Closure
For Padlock Complaints please call 311.

Padlocking a Property

When the Padlock Unit receives a complaint; our staff will conduct inspections and legal use research. If an investigation finds an illegal commercial or manufacturing use, the Padlock Unit will notify the owner and the occupant of the subject premises and work with them to discontinue the illegal use.
If the owner and the occupant do not voluntarily discontinue the illegal use, the Padlock Unit will seek a closure recommendation at an administrative hearing before the Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings. A closure order may be issued, which will result in the padlocking of the premises and termination of the illegal use. Entry into a padlocked area can result in arrest.

Access to Padlocked Premises

To access padlocked premises, complete and submit the Request for Access to Premises Form.

Removing an Order of Closure

To remove an order of closure against a property, discontinue all violating uses and submit a completed, notarized Rescission of Order of Closure Form (PE5A) to the Padlock Unit.

Contact the Padlock Unit:

Padlock Unit
280 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10007
(212) 393-2622

Helpful Links