Outdoor Advertising Registration Program
Individuals and entities engaged in the outdoor advertising business must register as Outdoor Advertising Companies (OACs) with the Department. As part of registration, OACs must include a detailed inventory of every sign, sign structure, and sign location under its control which is located:
- Within 900 feet and in view of an arterial highway
- Within 200 feet and in view of a public park one-half acre or larger
Active OACs and Affiliates
Failure to Register
Outdoor Advertising Companies without an active registration number from the Department are subject to fines of up to $25,000 per day as well as the loss of the ability to bid on City contracts.
Outdoor Advertising Companies that fail to register signs near arterial highways and public parks as required are subject to fines, removal of the signs, and revocation of their registration as an Outdoor Advertising Company.
To register, submit the following documents:
||$1,500 per advertising company
||$750.00 per advertising company
|Initial sign registration
||$125.00 per sign, sign structure or location
||$50.00 per sign, sign structure or location
Please make checks payable to the New York City Department of Buildings
Please deliver registration information to:
NYC Department of Buildings
Sign Enforcement Unit
280 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, New York 10007
Documentation for Existing Signs
You may need to obtain permit-related information for your sign, including copies of construction, electrical, or illuminated sign permits. To request application copies and permit records, contact the Record Room at the appropriate borough office.
Construction Applications & Permits
- Electronic Records – The Department’s Building Information System (BIS) has basic information available for pre-1990 applications and more comprehensive information for those after 1990.
- Inspection Records – Scanned copies of Department of Buildings’ sign inspection reports and accompanying photographs from the late 1970s and 1980s, are available by contacting the Sign Enforcement Unit. Files are in PDF format and may be e-mailed upon request.
- Hard-Copy Records
- Hard copies of newer documents are available from files in the borough record room.
- Permit docket/log books are available in either hard copy or microfilm in the borough offices.
- Hard copies of older documents are generally stored on microfilm in the borough office or archived off-site.
- Archived documents require approximately one week for retrieval.
If you are unable to find the documentation you need, contact the Special OAC representative in the appropriate borough office.