Certificate of Correction FAQs

Click a topic, or press the enter key on a topic, to reveal its answer.

How do I submit my Certificate of Correction online?

To submit a Certificate of Correction request, use an eFiling account to log into DOB NOW at www.nyc.gov/dobnow and select the BIS Options portal. If you need to create an eFiling account, visit www.nyc.gov/dobnowtips.

From the BIS Options DOB NOW portal, select +Certificate of Correction Review Request and enter the required fields including the Summons number. Select Save and then in the Documents section, upload completed applicable AEU2, AEU3321, or AEU20 forms and any other required documents. After completing the Statements & Signature section, select Submit. The request will not be reviewed by the Administrative Enforcement Unit until the Submit button is selected and confirmation is given for it to be submitted.

See the Certification of Correction Request User Guide for step-by-step directions.

Are my documents required to be notarized?

Yes, notarize the AEU2, AEU20 and AEU3321 forms where indicated and submit online. Letters of authorization and additional statements must also be notarized. To get AEU forms and additional information about resolving an OATH Summons/Violation, visit www.nyc.gov/aeu. For further assistance, contact AEU online at www.nyc.gov/dobhelp or by phone at (212) 393-2405.

Will I receive notification when my Certificate of Correction review is complete?

Yes, an email notification will be sent to the applicant with the status of the review. An email is not sent when the request is submitted. You can also log into DOB NOW to see the Request Status from the dashboard.

How do I check the status of my request?

Log into DOB NOW with your eFiling account, select the BIS Options Portal and select the Certificate of Correction Review Request tab. Do not select the button with a + before it (this will start a new request). The status will be listed under the Request Status column. Once the review is complete, the status of the summons will also be updated in the Buildings Information System (BIS).

If my request was disapproved, how do I find out the reason?

If the request is disapproved, the reason will be included in the email notification or go to the dashboard, double click on the Request # to open it, and select the Request Highlights button to see the External Comments and disapproval reasons.

If my request was disapproved and I do not agree with the disapproval, what do I do?

If you believe the results of the review are incorrect and an error has been made, a dispute can be submitted by selecting the Dispute button. You must have a justifiable reason to dispute. A pattern of unjustified disputes submitted by those registered with the Department may result in disciplinary action.

Can I submit my Certificate of Correction by mail or in-person?

Certificates of Correction can no longer be sent or delivered in-person and must be submitted online. Requests received by mail after May 1, 2020 will be returned to the sender with instructions to submit the request online.

Where do I pay the DOB civil penalties?

A Work Without a Permit civil penalty must be assessed and paid in-person in the DOB borough office where the summons was issued.

To pay an Immediately Hazardous Violation Civil Penalty fee, log into eFiling at www.nyc.gov/dobeFiling and select Express Cashier Payments and Hazardous Violation Fees. Payment can be made by eCheck or credit card, which includes a 2% service charge. In-person payments will no longer be accepted. A copy of the invoice receipt must be submitted with a Certificate of Correction request.

Helpful Links