In the effort to catalyze New York City’s transition to a clean, resilient, and equitable energy future, the Office of Alternative Energy (OAE) was established pursuant to AC 28-103.33 to streamline the process for obtaining the necessary approvals to install and maintain alternative energy projects (AEP), from the Department and other relevant agencies.
OAE’s duties include:
- To assist with the technical review and approval of applications submitted to the Department in connection with AEP.
- Provide guidance to applicants in connection with AEP.
- Making recommendations to the Commissioner and the heads of other agencies to facilitate the approval process of AEP.
- Coordinating with other relevant agencies to ensure that policies are in place to encourage the installation and maintenance of AEP.
- Support technical research for advancing energy legislation and policy within the City. Seeking cooperation and assistance from the City University of New York with respect to such policies.
- Receive and respond to comments, questions, and complaints with respect to OAE.
Technologies covered under OAE, including but not limited to the following:
- A system that generates power from a qualified renewable energy source, including but not limited to the following:
- solar energy
- wind energy
- geothermal energy
- hydrogen technology
- renewable natural gas
- An energy storage system (ESS).
- A qualified energy efficiency system, including but not limited to the following:
- cogeneration system
- reversable heat pump system
- Any other qualified technology that supports the city’s sustainability goal, including but not limited to the following:
- carbon capturing technology
- electric vehicle charging station
- load shedding equipment / appliance
- green roof
OAE is here to help. Please contact us if you have any comment, question, or complaint.
NYC Department of Buildings
Office of Alternative Energy
280 Broadway, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10007
Phone: (212) 393-2626