The New York City Benchmarking Help Center (BHC) is the free, one stop shop for information, assistance, and answers to your questions about the NYC Benchmarking Law.
If you have questions about deadlines, you are not sure if your building is covered, or if you need help navigating ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®, we are here to help. Our trained staff will walk you through the steps, point you to training and informational resources, and help you resolve problems so that you can meet the May 1 deadline with time to spare.
BHC staff are available Monday through Friday, 9AM-5PM to answer calls and emails, and address case by case inquiries.
Contact BHC staff today to schedule a free group presentation for a comprehensive overview of the NYC Benchmarking Law and how to comply.
Contact BHC staff today to schedule a free group training session to learn how to use ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®.
For more assistance, please fill out our Contact Form.
Stay informed! Subscribe to the Greener, Greater Buildings Plan Digest
The NYC Benchmarking Help Center, in conjunction with the Mayor's Office of Sustainability (MOS), periodically distributes the Greener, Greater Buildings Plan (GGBP) Digest. The GGBP Digest contains news related to the four local laws of GGBP (including the NYC Benchmarking Law), training opportunities for building owners and managers, upcoming events, and reminders and advisories.
To be added to the email list and start receiving the GGBP Digest in your inbox, please sign up here.
After you submit your data to the City, Portfolio Manager® sends you an email confirmation with a spreadsheet attachment that shows your inputted data under specific labels, or fields. Each submission then undergoes a thorough 9 point review process. If your submission is identified as having a deficiency in any of the 9 key data points, you will receive an email asking you to correct the error(s) and resubmit a revised report before the next deadline. Please be sure that your email address is entered correctly under "Account Settings" prior to submission to ensure that the City has the most up to date contact information. If you are submitting for someone else, please submit "on behalf of" the owner and provide contact details.
The following fields will be reviewed by the City for completeness and accuracy:
- NYC Borough, Block, and Lot (BBL): Data is missing, incomplete, inaccurate BBLs, or BBLs not on the Covered Buildings List.
- Property Floor Area: Data is missing, entered as zero, below 50,000 sq ft for one building, or below 100,000 sq ft for two or more buildings together.
- Number of Buildings: Data is missing or entered as zero.
- Site EUI (Site Energy Use Intensity in kBtu/sq ft): Data is missing, entered as zero, less than 5, or greater than 1000 kBtu/sq ft.
- Source EUI (Source Energy Use Intensity in kBtu/sq ft): Data is missing, entered as zero, less than 5, or greater than 1000 kBtu/sq ft.
- Metered Areas (Energy): Data is missing, or data does not account for the total energy consumption for the property.
- Municipally Supplied Potable Water - Indoor Use (kgal): Data is missing or manually entered instead of automatically provided by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) when the property is labeled "Yes" in the "Is this required to report automated water data from DEP?" column in the Covered Buildings List.
Please review the Data Quality Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Please visit this section periodically to find more information about the NYC Benchmarking Law and how to get help.
NYC Benchmarking Law Home
Energy and Water Data
Deadlines and Violations
Data Disclosure and Reports
[back to top]