Email a Friend Translate This Page
Text Size: A A A

Energy and Water Data


The NYC Benchmarking Law requires building owners to report data on annual energy and water usage. Click on the section titles below to review how to obtain both types of data.

Energy Data
Water Data

Energy Data
In order to obtain whole building energy consumption data for benchmarking, building owners will need to obtain residential or non-residential tenant consumption data in addition to their base building data. If your property(ies) is/are not master-metered or you do not have whole building energy consumption data, the best way to acquire this information is to request it from utility companies.

Aggregated Energy Data for All Buildings
A building owner can obtain aggregated energy data (a building's entire electric and gas consumption measured by month) from a private utility. The following utilities offer aggregated consumption data:

Consolidated Edison, Inc. (Con Ed)

  • In order to guarantee that you receive aggregated consumption data in time to meet the May 1 deadline, Con Ed advises to submit your request no later than Monday, April 17, 2017.
  • Effective February 1, 2017, there will not be a charge for building owners or their authorized agents that request up to 24 months of building-level consumption data. As in previous years, data will be provided covering a building's electricity and gas usage covering up to the most recent two years from the date of the request. Con Edison will continue to assess a fee for tenant-level data requests or for building-level requests older than 24 months. For additional information on requesting aggregated company records, please visit here (opens in new window).

National Grid

  • In order to guarantee that you receive aggregated consumption data in time to meet the May 1 deadline, National Grid advises to submit your request no later than Friday, April 21, 2017.
  • Please read the instructions (in PDF) for how to request aggregated energy data from National Grid.

PSEG Long Island (PSEG)

  • In order to guarantee that you receive your aggregated consumption data in time to meet the May 1 deadline, PSEG advises you submit your request no later than Saturday, April 1, 2017.
  • Download the 2017 instructions and authorization form (in PDF), sign, and submit to PSEG.

Non-Residential Tenant Data Collection Form
Since January 2014, the Mayor's Office of Sustainability no longer requires building owners to issue a data collection request form to non-residential tenants. Building owners are strongly encouraged to request aggregated data directly from the utility companies.

Water Data

Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)

The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), manages New York City’s water supply and wastewater treatment, and provides all water consumption information to properties eligible and covered under the NYC Benchmarking Law. Only covered properties that have had an Automatic Meter Reader (AMR) installed for at least the entire calendar year will be required to benchmark their water consumption.

Building owners that benchmarked their data prior to 2017 by registering in Portfolio Manager® for automatic DEP water consumption data uploading do not need to re-register again this year. Water consumption data for those properties will be automatically uploaded for every year moving forward. Please note that data is uploaded in cubic feet.

If your property(ies) has/have not yet registered to benchmark water and is in the Covered Buildings List, log into Portfolio Manager® and share your property information with DEP.

  • Please read the instructions (in PDF) for how to get automated water data from DEP.
  • If your property(ies) is/are not eligible for automated water benchmarking, you have the option to benchmark water data manually. Please read the instructions (in PDF) for how to get manual water data from DEP.
  • Common web services errors are listed here.

All inquires about water benchmarking should be directed to the Department of Environmental Protection at

Other Benchmarking Links

NYC Benchmarking Law Home
Compliance Instructions
Deadlines and Violations
Data Disclosure and Reports
NYC Benchmarking Help Center

[back to top]





Quick Links