Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Click a topic, or press the enter key on a topic, to reveal its answer.

Obtain an New York State driver's license or state identification card?

Apply for Social Security disability benefits?

Apply for a replacement Social Security card?

Can I vote if I am on probation?

Yes, but you need to register in the county and district where you reside.

Can I vote if I have been justice involved?

In most instances yes, unless you are: (1) currently in prison for a felony conviction, or (2) currently on parole for a felony conviction and have not obtained a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities or a Certificate of Good Conduct. In any event, For information regarding your voting rights, visit our Voting Rights page.

Obtain a copy of my criminal history?

An individual can request a Personal Record Review to obtain a copy of his or her criminal history record information maintained at the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) or a "no record" response indicating that he or she has no criminal history record information on file with the agency. Individuals cannot request a Personal Record Review for another person in order to determine if that person has a criminal history.

Apply for veterans benefits?

Sign Up For Benefits

Find out what benefits you and your family may be eligible for through the sites or numbers below.

New York City
New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs VA / Federal benefits Explore VA For Benefits information: 1-800-827-1000 For Healthcare information: 1-877-222-8387


Apply for public assistance?

ACCESS NYC is a website that allows New Yorkers to screen for eligibility for more than thirty City, State, and Federal benefit programs in seven languages. Residents can learn how to apply, print out application forms, and determine agency locations where they can go to directly apply for services. ACCESS NYC provides online applications for benefits including the rent increase exemption programs (SCRIE and DRIE), and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Learn more on HRA's online portal.

Apply for unemployment?

Contact the NYS Department of Correctional Services (DOCS)?

Contact New York City Department of corrections?

ID Information?

Ask your probation officer to assist you with the IDNYC application.