How to Apply
Submit the Not-For-Profit Organization's Tax Exemption Application. Be sure to read all instructions carefully and include all required documentation. Incomplete submissions will delay processing.
- Articles of incorporation (If you are leasing any part of the parcel to another not-for-profit, attach that organization's articles.)
- Bylaws (If you are leasing any part of the parcel to a not-for-profit, attach that organization's bylaws.)
- Deed, if the parcel is in Staten Island or not available in ACRIS
- Certificate of Occupancy
- If leasing, attach the lease
- If the property is a parsonage, attach the certificate of ordination
- If the property is unimproved (a vacant lot with no building, paving, etc.), and you intend to build a structure for your exempt purposes, you must show evidence of the contemplated use. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Building plans prepared by an architect
- Evidence of a building fund—a dedicated bank account for building purposes, not part of your organization’s other financial accounts/statements
- Permits from the NYC Department of Buildings (DOB)
- An affidavit from the board of directors committing to building or improving the lot indicated
- A plan of work which has start and end dates
- If the lot needs such alterations that it cannot be used now for your exempt purpose, you would be asked to submit some or all of the above.
Frequently Asked Questions