Eviction Protection & Resources

Do not self evict! Even if your landlord has threatened or harassed you, you do not have to leave your apartment without a court order awarding the landlord both a judgment of possession and a warrant of eviction. If a judge has not ordered your eviction, you do not have to leave your home.

Facing an eviction lawsuit is scary, but the City can provide you with information and resources to help you get through it.

There is help available for you. If you are at risk of eviction, contact the Tenant Support Unit for assistance. If you have been illegally locked out of your home, follow the steps outlined below. 

At Risk of Eviction? You have rights! It is illegal for someone to pressure or force you to leave your home without going through a formal court process. Your immigration status does not matter. Call 311 and ask for the Tenant Helpline to get free legal advice.

You are protected against a lockout

Lockouts are illegal, no matter your immigration status. 

  • You are protected against a lockout if you have lived in the same place for at least 30 days, even if you did not sign a lease.
  • If you signed a lease, you are protected against a lockout as soon as you move in.
  • You cannot be locked out or "discharged," even if you signed papers saying you are in a private treatment/recovery or other program.

What to do if you've been illegally locked out of your home 

  1. Call 911 right away. Lockouts are criminal behavior and a misdemeanor under the "illegal eviction law."
    • NYPD's role is to protect the rights of a person who is being or has been unlawfully evicted.
    • Unlawful evictions are always illegal.
    • The NYPD may take action against someone trying to remove a tenant if they have probable cause to believe it is an unlawful eviction.
    • The NYPD can keep the peace on the scene while you take steps to get back into your home.
  2. Call 311 and ask for the Tenant Helpline to get a referral to free legal services and other resources. (If you are experiencing a legal eviction, the Tenant Helpline is also here to help you. Call 311 to be connected to free services and other resources.)
  3. Go to the housing court in your borough (addresses below) to file an Order to Show Cause for emergency relief to be restored to possession (allowed back in).
  4. Call 311 and ask for HPD to report utility shut-offs. HPD would inspect and, where warranted, write a violation.

If you experience an illegal lockout and cannot get back in with help from the police department, go to the housing court in your borough right away. Housing Courts are generally open from 9am to 4:30 or 5pm. Find the housing court in your borough below.

Free Legal Assistance

If you are facing eviction, you may be able to receive free legal help through NYC’s Office of Civil Justice (OCJ), a unit of the Human Resources Administration (HRA). OCJ has partnered with nonprofit legal services from across New York City to make free legal services and other resources available to tenants facing eviction. To find out more about OCJ’s legal services for tenants you can:

Free legal services may include legal advice, assistance with rental assistance applications and other required forms, advocacy with your landlord, or representation in your eviction case in court.

The Tenant Resource Portal

Need help but not sure where to start? After anonymously answering a series of questions about your situation, this tool provides personalized information to help you learn about your rights and maintain stable housing. Visit the Tenant Resource Portal to find resources that may be available to you.

Find Your Housing Court


Housing Court Address


Brooklyn ("Kings County")

141 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, 11201



851 Grand Concourse, Bronx 10451


Manhattan ("New York County")

111 Centre Street, New York, 10013



89-17 Sutphin Boulevard, Jamaica 11435


Staten Island ("Richmond County")

927 Castleton Avenue, Staten Island 10310