What constitutes an adult family?
The Department of Homeless Services (DHS) considers an adult family to be any family without minor children, including the following household compositions:
Clients must be able to verify that their household constitutes a family as defined above and can demonstrate that they have resided with one another for 180 days within the year immediately prior to the date of their application.
- Applicants who are a legally married couple and present a valid original marriage certificate; or
- Applicants who are a domestic partners couple and present a valid original domestic partnership certificate; or
- Adults who provide, as part of their application for Temporary Housing Assistance, proof establishing the medical dependence of one applicant upon another;
- Two or more adults who can provide birth certificates to prove a parent and child or sibling family relationship or share a "caretaking" (emotionally or physically supportive) relationship, including:
- aunt or uncle to niece or nephew
- grandparent to grandchild
- parent to child or stepchild
Adult Families: Applying for Temporary Housing Assistance
Adult Families: The Shelter System