File a Complaint

There are many ways to file a complaint. Choose what is most convenient for you. Remember to provide accurate contact information.

Although helpful, you do not need to know the name or badge number of the officer who is the subject of your complaint.

File a Complaint Online

If you wish to file a complaint against a member of the New York City Police Department through our web site, complete a complaint form online.

Call the CCRB's Hotline: 1-800-341-2272 (CCRB)

Monday through Friday, 8am - 5pm, you will speak directly to an investigator. After 5pm and on weekends, you can leave your complaint on voicemail. Be sure to give contact information where you can be reached during regular business hours. An investigator will call you back promptly.

Free Interpretation Service is Available

Call 311

Anytime 24/7. Outside NYC: 1-212-NEW-YORK

Come to our Office

100 Church Street, 10th Fl., New York, NY 10007, anytime between 8 am and 5 pm. No appointment is necessary.

Go to a Participating Council Member's District Office

The Community Partners Initiative (CPI) accommodates complainants who can't travel during conventional business hours to CCRB's lower Manhattan office. Hosted in participating council member's offices in all five boroughs, CCRB staff will be available to answer questions or even receive a complaint in-person. Each office hosts hours at designated times. Click here to find a location near you and that office's hours.

Write a Letter to:

CCRB, 100 Church St., 10th Floor, New York, NY 10007

Go to any Police Station

File a complaint there or pick up a CCRB complaint form, fill it out at home and mail it to us. The form is pre-addressed and postage-paid.

After You File:

You will be asked to come to our office so that an investigator can take a formal statement from you about what happened. If travelling to Manhattan is difficult for you, or if you're hospitalized or in jail, the investigator can travel to you.


The CCRB takes complaints regardless of a person's immigration status and never asks complainants or witnesses about their immigration status. The CCRB has translation services available in all languages for people with limited English proficiency.

Complaints Not in our Jurisdiction:

When the CCRB receives a complaint that falls outside of its jurisdiction, it refers the complaint to the appropriate agency. For example, if your complaint is about police corruption or neglect of duty, the CCRB would send it to the Internal Affairs Bureau (IAB) or the Office of the Chief of Department (OCD) respectively; both are part of the police department.