Applying for a Block Party Permit
Applications must be filed at least 60 days in advance. Applying for a block party is a two-step process:
- Fill out an online application by visiting the City's Street Activity Permit office. You will need to pay a fee using a credit card.
- Once your application is received, Community Board 18 will send a request for the submission of a signed petition from 50% of the homeowners on the block or a letter of support. You can fax it to (718) 531-3199, or email a scanned copy to our office at BK18@cb.nyc.gov.
Your permit may be marked as "denied" if you have not delivered your signatures to the District Office. Once we receive those signatures we will revisit the application.
View Petition template
Block Party Information from SAPO
A block party is a community sponsored, public event where there are no sales of goods or services. Block parties are limited to one block and one day. If you are interested in hosting a block party, read below for more information or apply to host a block party online.
When hosting a block party, keep in mind the following:
- Applications must be submitted 60 days prior to the event
- Event is limited to 9 consecutive hours on one day and one block
- Rain dates are not permitted
- Event must be open to all neighbors on the block; not a private party (e.g. one person's birthday party)
- You cannot charge a fee to participate or fundraise
- You may not sell food or other goods and services
- Alcohol, vendors, commercial branding and sponsorships are not permitted at block parties
- If your event has branding or includes vendors like a food truck or a health screening van, your event may be categorized as a street event or a single block festival
- You may require additional permits. All other agency permits must be obtained before we can grant your street activity permit. Examples include: