Administration for Children's Services311Search all websites

Housing Support

Housing Support Services (HSS) helps families and young adults involved with foster care find suitable, stable, long term housing.

Who is eligible?

  • Families with active foster care or preventive cases.
  • Youth in independent living programs.

How to Apply

Contact HSS at 150 William Street, 8th Floor, New York, NY 10038.

  • Call the Hotline (212) 442-4273.
  • Walk-in Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Eligible youth and families must be accompanied by their Case Planners.


Housing Subsidy is a rent subsidy program that:

  • Assists with reuniting parents with children placed in foster care when housing is the only barrier,
  • Helps to prevent children from entering foster care when housing is the only obstacle to a child remaining at home,
  • Assist youth ages 18 and older who are able to live independently to secure permanent housing when they leave care.

The subsidy pays up to three hundred dollars per month for up to 3 years or $10,800.

NYCHA Section 8 is administered by New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) and provides Section 8 vouchers to:

  • Parents who are not able to reunify with their children because they do not have permanent housing.
  • Youth ages eighteen and older who are transitioning out of foster care with a goal of Another Planned Permanent Living Arrangement (APPLA).
  • Parents and youth who are able to pass a criminal background check and meet other NYCHA requirements. Learn more

NYCHA Borough Housing Application Offices


Homebase - Department of Homeless Services
DHS' Homebase program helps families and individuals to overcome immediate housing issues that could result in becoming homeless, while also helping them develop plans for long-term stability. Learn more

Visit 311 Online to locate the nearest office, or download the Homebase location map


Temporary housing assistance is available to families through the Department of Homeless Services PATH program. Families with children younger than 21, pregnant women, and families with a pregnant woman are eligible to apply.

Go to PATH

Location: 151 East 151st Street, Bronx, NY
Telephone: (917) 521-3900.
Open 24 hours per day, including weekends and holidays.
PATH processes applications 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Housing Complaints

Your landlord must keep your apartment unit and building in safe and sanitary condition and make repairs in a timely manner. The City will issue violations to owners who do not properly maintain their property.

You also have a responsibility to notify your landlord of any unsafe or unsanitary conditions. You should document all contact with your landlord.

In addition to filing a complaint with the City, you may seek assistance in Housing Court.

Go to the New York City Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) site to learn more about making a complaint.
Learn more about Housing Court and Tenant's Rights

HPD Borough Service Centers
Find Affordable Housing
Rental Assistance Programs Information