While World Breastfeeding Week is August 1 to 7, HHC hospitals will hold events throughout the month of August in support of breastfeeding for mothers and babies. HHC hospitals encourage all new mothers to breastfeed within the first few hours after birth. Breastfeeding during the first months and year of life benefits both mother and baby, and can improve infant health and reduce the risk of common childhood infections, asthma, diabetes and other conditions.
Metropolitan Hospital Center will hold a reunion for breastfeeding mothers and babies and other HHC hospitals will host various public education fairs and celebrations. The events include educational materials on breastfeeding as well as information on available resources. Some hospitals will have giveaways where participants at the event can enter for a chance to win prizes including a variety of breastfeeding products.
HHC Breastfeeding Educational Fairs and Events:
Harlem Hospital Center
Metropolitan Hospital Center
- Information fair, Thursday, August 1 from 10am-2pm.
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Breastfeeding event, Friday August 2 from 11am-3pm.
- Breastfeeding fair, Thursday, August 7 from 10am-2pm in the main building.
- Breastfeeding reunion for patients, Friday, August 9 from 10am-2pm in room 1B36.
Lincoln Medical Center, Breastfeeding fair, Tuesday, August 20.
Coney Island Hospital
Woodhull Medical Center, Information fair, Friday, August 9 from 8am-10am.
- Information fair, Thursday, August 1 from 10am-1:00pm.
- Information fair, Monday, August 5 from 10am-1pm.
- Courtyard celebration, Tuesday, August 6 from 10am – 2pm, it will be held in the courtyard at the Ocean Parkway entrance.
Cumberland Diagnostic and Treatment Center, Information fair, Tuesday, August 13 from 10am-2pm in Cumberland Patio.
Queens Hospital Center, Information fair, Tuesday, August 6 from 10am-2pm in the Atrium.