Mission & Values
The New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC) is an integrated healthcare system of hospitals, neighborhood health centers, long-term care, nursing homes and home care -- the public safetynet healthcare system of New York City. HHC is committed to the health and well-being of all New Yorkers and we offer a wide range of high quality and affordable healthcare services to keep our patients healthy and to address the needs of New York City's diverse populations.
HHC Mission and Values
HHC is committed to excellence in healthcare. Our providers work together to provide comprehensive, personalized care to all New Yorkers. Our mission is:
- To extend equally to all New Yorkers, regardless of their ability to pay, comprehensive health services of the highest quality in an atmosphere of humane care, dignity and respect.
- To promote and protect, as both innovator and advocate, the health, welfare and safety of the people of the City of New York.
- To join with other health workers and with communities in a partnership which will enable each of our institutions to promote and protect health in its fullest sense – the total physical, mental and social well-being of the people.
Our Guiding Principles
HHC's Guiding Principles reinforce six essential features of our daily work: a patient-centered approach, safety, excellence, cost savings and resource management, teamwork, and employee development. Our Guiding Principles provide a foundation to achieve the “Triple Aim” of better health, better care, and better value:
- Keep Patients First: Patients are at the center of everything we do. We treat our patients with respect and empathy. We achieve high levels of patient satisfaction by meeting or exceeding expectations. In caring for all, we serve our communities and our city.
- Pursue Excellence: We adapt to changes, we innovate. We continuously review our work, revise work processes, and eliminate waste. We work to the highest standards of integrity, quality, and safety. Breakthrough, with its ability to engage staff at all levels, is our path to excellence.
- Keep Everyone Safe: We always take the steps needed to ensure the safety of the patients in our care. We watch out for one another and work in ways that elminate injuries.
- Work Together: We work together, respect each other, and communicate effectively in order to meet challenges, solve problems, and reach HHC's goals. We all share responsibility for patient care, for safety, for controlling costs, and, ultimately, for fulfilling HHC's mission.
- Keep Learning: We learn in order to grow as individuals; we incorporate the lessons we learn into our daily work to reach the highest levels of personal potential and team success. Our employees are our most valuable resource, and HHC supports professional training and development, expansion of skills, and opportunity for all staff.
- Manage Your Resources: We are accountable for what we do and how we do it. We look for ways to save money; use time, effort, and materials wisely; and work efficiently. To sustain the mission of HHC, we make every dollar count; we think about the cost consequences of our decisions.
The principles apply to all of us at HHC, no matter what job we do.
The Guiding Principles image helps to remind us of our six principles and connect them to the goals of the Triple Aim. Although safety is at the top and patients are at the center, the circle reinforces the idea that all of the principles are equally important.
Find an HHC hospital or health center near you.