More Certified Interpreters
||Dr. Fishkin coaches Dr. Judith Flores on the stationary bike.
||Dr. Jonah Green and Dr. Wasfy Zaki on the stationary bike.
Ten HHC employees graduated from the HHC/CUNY Healthcare Interpreter Program on December 12 and received certifications to better serve HHC patients with limited English language proficiency at a special ceremony hosted by Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center. They successfully completed a 45 hour program that focuses on interpreting clinical information, recognizing and dealing with ethical issues and cultural conflicts, and understanding clinicians’ roles and expectations. Students also learned medical vocabulary and use role-playing exercises to master interpreting skills that emphasize accuracy, which is essential for patient safety.
By gaining deep knowledge of healthcare concepts and terminology, these staff translators meet a new standard for the professional preparation needed to serve patients and are key to HHC’s ability to provide healthcare services with cultural and linguistic competence.
2011 HHC/CUNY Healthcare Interpreter Program Graduates
- Ada Villatoro-Bussa - Assistant Director, Women and Children’s Health, Coney Island Hospital
- Attisso Akakpo, Public Health Advisor, Family Center Care, Jacobi Medical Center
- Blandine Assomou, Coordinator Manager, Harlem Hospital
- Christina Figueroa, Clerical Associate, North Central Bronx Hospital
- Emma Koffi, Senior Community Liaison, Harlem Hospital
- Jocelyn Martin, Head Nurse, Medina Clinic, Harlem Hospital
- Lourdes Gonzalez, MPH, Associate Director, Breakthrough, Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center
- Magnim Serrano, Patient Representative, Coney Island Hospital
- Mailen Tapia, Registered Nurse, Elmhurst Hospital
- Rosita Jiménez-Nuñez, Community Liaison, North Central Bronx Hospital